Oversized pistons

npanne

Okay guys (and girls) - it's time for my stupid question of the week...

Is it safe to assume that if pistons were oversized replacements, it would be stamped on the top face?

I know that they were on an old Spit engine that I stripped down (quite obviously said +0.30), but I'm no expert, and now I'm keen to find out what I've got in my GT6 engine. I haven't got round to properly stripping the block down yet, but with the head off and the piston faces cleaned up a bit, I can't see anything to suggest that they're oversized. There are a couple of markings, but nothing that stands out.

Thanks guys
Neil

Cheers Clive - I figured that was the case, but didn't want to assume anything. Hoping to get away with a cheap and cheerful rebuild for the time being (ie re-use the pistons, clean the bores without re-boring them out etc). Just change the bearings and seals - and possibly the rings if any look damaged when they come out.

One other thing - how do I get the cam followers out? is there an easy way to do it?

Now to turn the thing over and get to the bottom end....

I find a finger in an oily follower gives enough suction to pull it out--usually.
If not wait until you get the cam out. Do not forget to number the followers. Very important.
And do use new rings, I believe thay bed in better than used ones. Not had any issues when honing/reringing engines. And get decent bearings for the crank, money well spent!

Yes you can! If they are difficult to remove, once the pushrods are out turning the cam and a bit of wiggling gets them far enough up to clear the jornals and dizzy drive. At least when I have done it.

And I still keep my hand in with triumph stuff. Haven't done an engine for a couple of years though. But this week have noticed I am out of practice with stripping rusty cars  :-/ especially ones where there is a good mixture of af, metric and some "odd" nuts and bolts. Left in a garden for a few years. Should have been left there I think.
Clive

Worked on 2 litre, 2.5, 1500 and the several 1300's. I can't remember when I had to do this, too many engines done, but worked.
In reality cleaning up around the follower in its bore with wire wool or similar gets most deposits off, and aids removal with said finger. Make sure the follower is down first though.
I think it is possible to use a thin "punch" from inside the block as well, but I may be getting confused with another engine.

How do you do yours Charlie?

oeer missus ;D Seems a popular choice. The struggle is with engines that have been idle for a while. Which Neils has for a year (or is it 2?). 'bout time it was in the car, especially since he has a nice comfy seat :P

cliftyhanger wrote:
oeer missus ;D Seems a popular choice. The struggle is with engines that have been idle for a while. Which Neils has for a year (or is it 2?). 'bout time it was in the car, especially since he has a nice comfy seat :P

Well the engine has been in my garage for a year or two, but I suspect it has been out of action for a lot longer than that - I don't even know how long it had been sitting in Dougs barn, and he picked it up as part of a job lot apparently, so could have been motionless for decades!

Will be making every effort to rectify this - until I get distracted by something else that is!

Right, Pistons are out, and they look like they will be okay to re-use after a quick clean. New rings will be the order of the day. Got the followers out - now have sticky finger to be proud of.

So, I presume that the main and big end bearing would also be stamped if they were over-sized? Hopefully won't need to get the crankshaft ground or anything, but the bearings could do with replacing.

Can people look through the list of parts that I've got (or getting), and see if I've missed anything:

Block - bores just need honing out.
Crank - needs a clean, but nowt else.
Big end bearings
Main bearings
Thrust washers
Piston ring set
Gaskets (all of them!)
Oil pump
Core plugs
Timing chain / tensioner.

Anything else? I reckon the flywheel will clean up, and the head is being dealt with (slowly) - have I missed anything obvious? Not trying to break any bhp records or anything, just want a standard running engine in good order.

Cheers
Neil

Archived