EFi Lambda Sensor Position

carboy0

Hopefully one of you EFi-iers can advise.  I am building a TV8 EFi.  Whereabouts in the exhaust system have you mounted the lambda sensor.

I run a complete SS system including manifolds.  The only crossover point is the bridge in front of the silencers.  Is this too far back for the lambda sensor?

Any advice welcomed.

CHRIS

As Nick has already said. As near to the engine as possible As hot a place as you can find.  V8's normally use two sensors but one on one bank will work absolutely fine I ran one on my six off the rear three cylinders only. It will work.

Laurence

• 2 months later...

Just fit one sensor at the front downpipe should be good enough.  You could only use two if your ECU will be able to control mixtures individually on LH or RH side, and can identify which injectors feed each bank, and then control those individually.

I am using two TB injectors so only need one Lambda sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be running carb body injectors with the std inlet manifold, simple but not as good as injector per port, but still gets a mappable system up and running.
The TR7 based system sounds interesting. Watching with interest.
My own project has stumbled a bit because the machine shop I use got as far as 3D printing my carb adaptors but haven't as yet made anything in aluminium for me .. so I'm still on carbs and mappable ignition only.

Also, the sensor should not be on the underside of the pipe it sits in, else condensation will collect IN the sensor, !
There always is some  at a cold start.  It evaporates as the system warms up, but it's not good for it.
On top or at the side.

John

• 9 months later...

Quoted from OBE
I will be running carb body injectors with the std inlet manifold, simple but not as good as injector per port, but still gets a mappable system up and running.
The TR7 based system sounds interesting. Watching with interest.
My own project has stumbled a bit because the machine shop I use got as far as 3D printing my carb adaptors but haven't as yet made anything in aluminium for me .. so I'm still on carbs and mappable ignition only.

I have my own design EFI running now using Stroms as the throttle bodies. 3D Nylon works fine but I have some made in Al as well.
Any progress on yours?  Did you finish your project?

• 3 weeks later...

Some interesting advice here, having just bought a Innovate MTX-L Plus for my 1300TC Efi Project, it does state in the manual in Bold type that the sensor should be at least 24 inches downstream from the exhaust port.

I'm guessing it depends on whether you are using a heated or non-heated sensor?

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Quoted from ham204-

Carboy0 - how is your EFI project coming on?

Slow, very slow.  Got the toothed wheel on behind the crank pulley and need to fab the crankshaft sensor bracket next.  I got sidetracked in prepping the car for the RBRR, so I need to get back to plan A now.

I finally put the Lambda sensor boss on the vertical section of the downpipe for the left cylinder bank.

• 9 months later...
Quoted from carboy0-
Quoted from ham204-

Carboy0 - how is your EFI project coming on?

I finally put the Lambda sensor boss on the vertical section of the downpipe for the left cylinder bank.

Same here.  I am using a wideband sensor with AFR gauge.