Exhaust Manifold painting?

mazfg

Having now taken off my exhaust manifold and seeing the brown rough rusty appearance it has..... I'd like to clean up, wire brush it and paint it black. Would this stuff do the job: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Matt-Black-stove-exhaust-ovens-HEAT-RESISTANT-SPRAY-PAINT-Everbuild-Purimachos-/160727730035?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Other_Fireplaces&hash=item256c1e8773

Is a spray better or would it be better to brush it on?

Phoned them this morning. For their basic service, with a Matt Black finish £179, then £230, followed by the premium service of £260.......  MMMmmmm, think I'll try some of this stuff I came across on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251143829345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Apparently withstands up to 1097 deg C...

3398 wrote:
Phoned them this morning. For their basic service, with a Matt Black finish £179, then £230, followed by the premium service of £260.......  MMMmmmm, think I'll try some of this stuff I came across on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251143829345?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Apparently withstands up to 1097 deg C...

I have done mine with Carplan VHT but not yet fitted to car so cannot comment on how good it is but a friend has used it a lot and says it is fine.

He advised me that until the Manifold gets hot it does not cure 100% and will leave fingerprints in the finish if handled with bare hands (I used Blue nitrile gloves) as I always keep a box in the garage.

So the way to go is to clean the Manifold (I went over mine with a wire brush in the Angle Grinder) apply the paint and allow to dry preferably overnight and then what I did was to heat it up by applying the flame from a Butane Gun (the type you use for plumbing/paint stripping etc) apply the heat evenly to the inside of the Manifold via the open ends of the Manifold much the same as would happen with the heat from the exhaust ports with the engine running. This technique is presuming you are going to paint the manifold whilst it is off the engine.

Remember this technique will get the Manifold very HOT so be sure to let it COOL down properly before handling

Hope this helps.

Alan.

The tins of so-called exhaust paint usually say, in very,very samll print that it should be aplied to 'bright metal'  In other words totally lacking in rust.   Certainly my experience of near obsessive cleaning and wire-brushing doesn't keep the the paint on for more than a year.

Commercial surface treatment systems, as James has used my be more successful, but I've givben uip on manifold painting as a waste of money.
John

John — they blasted mine and then immediately sprayed it in what I assume is very hot aluminium powder.

It's been on the car and done several thousand miles now — and it's still there and hasn't discoloured.

Hopefully a good sign that it'll stay there for a reasonable amount of time!