6-3-1 Exhaust Manifold

mowerman

Tim, what you can do is have a 2500S inlet manifold machined so that the face is parallel to the carburettor face then the manifold will sit flat. This has been done before and gives a much better flowing inlet than the original (ask CW).

Not sure if it will then go with the 6-3-1 but it could well be an interesting ride.

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1166434360,s=14 date=1166483219]
like wings and slicks on a Trabant
[/quote]

Hee Hee, that's already been done.  I took this photo in Bulgaria last July!

Pay particular attention to the Lexus style lighting, the Sports exhaust (cunningly designed to extract a whole extra horsepower), the amazing graphics and the "Ticket Writing Table" that every keen Policeman lusts after!   

;D ;D ;D

Mikey,
That is a bundle of Fun!
Was it the original (cough, cough) engine?
I bet that a Trabby weighs less than a Spitfire.
   (Thinks - need something to compete with Vinnie's 500bhp/ton)

And Tim - clearance issues,  no doubt - fancy a hand beaten alloy teardrop for the bonnet?
A la Silverback??

JOhn

There are anything up to 7 totally different Phoenix 6 into 3 into 1 manifolds for 6 cyl Triumph's! Not all of them are available directly through Phoenix as one trader or another has paid for there development and now has sole sale rights. The two that are available directly are the PXTH300 for the GT6, and the TR6 one PXTH604. Don't try and fit a PXTH300 to a Vitesse unless you are handy with the oxy, and an hacksaw, and the TR6 one only fits TR's! Mark Field (Jigsaw) sells a Phoenix MKI GT6 manifold. Chris Witor sells his own Phoenix (Witor designed) 2000/2.5 type, the one we fitted to a customers car fitted OK but others have had problems. TLD has just developed in conjunction with Phoenix a MKI VIT/GT6 manifold, a MKII VIT/GT6 manifold, and his own TR 5/6 jobby. All of the TLD affairs have much tidier primary runs over what has gone before, and the fit (so far) on the ones we have tried has been much better. I have a MKI manifold about to go on to my Vitesse (triple SU's), and we have started stocking the MKII type. Prices have crept up though which I suppose was inevitable bearing in mind development costs, and the rampant increases in raw materials recently. As an aside thinking about that last comment our supplier of cupro nickel brake line has passed on 6 price increases this year alone and now quotes his latest price before despatch as it has more than likely changed since the last time we ordered (we order monthly!).

I've got HS6 carbs, but the manifold is not canted. Piccie below.

Again I bought the car like that. The guys at the last TSSC pub meet were scratching their heads as to where it came from.  It has "Standard" cast into it, so definately Truimph origin - TR250 perhaps?

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1166434360,s=27 date=1166570931] Was it the original (cough, cough) engine?
I bet that a Trabby weighs less than a Spitfire.

JOhn[/quote]

Yep John - cough, cough with a designer smoke screen!  I'll bet it weighs loads less than a Spitty - the body is made out of something resembling papiermache. . . interesting combination with a lawnmower style gravity fed fuel tank sitting on top of the engine!!!

• 2 weeks later...

WHY must people make such a horrible abortion of my beautiful 1982 design???
Yawn.........!!!!

Phoenix is just another rip off of one of my nice hand made ones, made in France which was down at Cargraphic years ago then ended up at Paul Benson??

(Who worked for TR Bitz at that time, then surreptitiously left), and thought like scores of others they could go into "production" of this manifold.
They then mysteriously call it "their own design"!!!, or how they made this or that "improvement" without a clue of what they are doing.
Funny how some people's brain cells work one way, and others work in another....

Ask PB at phoenix and he may suddenly get over his amnesia!!

GT

Quote GTEVO
"WHY must people make such a horrible abortion of my beautiful 1982 design???
Yawn.........!!!!

Phoenix is just another rip off of one of my nice hand made ones, made in France which was down at Cargraphic years ago then ended up at Paul Benson?? "

The major advantage of the Pheonix 6-3-1 is that it is (as far as I know and I did considerable hunting around) the only one to suit a small chassis Triumph that is really manufactured, marketed and can actually be bought.

I for one would prefer to buy a properly engineered product - but I can't 'cause nobody actually bl**dy makes one. 

This is a gift to Pheonix as it also means they can charge handsomely.......

Nick

Mike Randall is RIP since a number of years.

At the time (living in London) he was the only bloke I could get to make a manifold to the design I had.
His work was far from perfect and I had him make a number of them until I could find someone better.
He DID however always do what I asked in a correct time frame, which is quite something these days.

Phoenix is in fact NOT so expensive but their quality is total cr....p.

There are a number of people I use to make my manifolds these days (mild steel and stainless or inconel) , but obviously I'm FAR more careful than I used to be who I work with, and I hate people taking credit for my work when they haven't got 2 brain cells to put together.......

For obsolete (sorry to use that term) motors I'm not so bothered, but clearly for more important and valuable models such as Aston, Lambo and Jaguar I'm NEVER going to let the same commercial mistake happen again.
My designs knock stuff from other people clean out of the window, and that includes for Ferrari or other "popular" V8s.
I even got power gains on the classic Ford X-flow over production mass produced ones (!).

I do make a few mild steel manifolds, and can supply proper Triumph ones but they are about DOUBLE the price I would like because there are simply so FEW craftsmen left with the skill in the UK. This is the absolute but sad truth, quite apart from the numbers of good people who want to, or HAVE left the country or retired.
I only know of ONE now that is any good, compared with the 80 when there were at least 6+

That means I DO sympathise with your problem, but can only supply a few handmade ones until such time my training ppl in Eastern Europe bears some more fruit.

GT

Archived