Fuel cap not seating on panel

GT6Craig

As you can see from the photo below, a fuel cap I have acquired doesn't fit. The wing doesn't have the original recess (and the hole was in when I bought the car)....

Is the cap deformed, or has the hole been cut in the wrong place?  :-/

Thought I'd better check before top coat..

Looks like you've defo got a Spitfire wing there. Its the problem that you can't get GT6 panel with the recessed filler hole (at least I don't think you can) and we have use the Spit version. What's the difference between the filler cap and the one you had before?

Sorry I didn't make it clear, the wing came with the car...so it's my fault as I fitted it without much thought. I was aware of the difference but wrongly assumed the filler cap (supplied on the original wing) would just sit over the hole. Not original I know, but the only choice.

That said, I think I have just found the solution. Got the old wing, tried the filler cap in the recessed hole and that seems to look okay.

Yet more cutting and welding as I graft it in! I'll go get mi joggler and mig :-(

hi!

This sounds like a spitfire wing.  I have the same problem...

only on my car it manifests itself as the wheel looking recessed because the wing on the other side is a spitfire wing.  On the filler cap side it's a gt6 wing.
So the spitfire wing, being slimmer makes the wheel look like it sits out further on that side than the gt6 wing which makes the wheel look more recessed.  You wouldn't BELIEVE the amount of different things I have measured to find this out!

You could try just shaving a bit of the filler neck pipe inside and see if it'll fit any further in then...or is it the casting that just won't fit into the hole in the wing?

V annoying...and I can empathise.

JensH wrote:
Take a look at Steeve A's blog:

http://triumphulation.blogspot.com/2010/11/gt6-rear-wing-preparation.html

New wings for GT6 available from canley etc, but recess not as good as per original  :-/

Canleys website says this panel is no longer available. When you say Canleys etc. Who is etc?

5458 wrote:
www.canleyclassics.com

Sorry, by etc I meant who else other than Canleys :)

It appears you have to contact them to discuss getting the pressing as its not an original panel so they don't advertise it on their website. I agree it looks like with a bit of fettling it would be okay.

Let us know what you use as a hose from the filler to the tank.
If you find a hose with the correct bend from another car that you need only shorten, let us know what car it came from or the part number!
That hose is a booger.

Quote:
looks like a sweet job

cheers, still learning the art of mig welding but I put a skim of filler over last night and it looks good. Much better than the hole that was in before.....

Quote:
Let us know what you use as a hose from the filler to the tank.
If you find a hose with the correct bend from another car that you need only shorten, let us know what car it came from or the part number!
That hose is a booger.

I had this problem with the mk1 I had. On a thread some years ago I put a picture up of a flexible spiral re-inforced tube purchase from a local hydraulics company for about 50p.

The company still exists so I may try them again, or have a look around a scrap yard...much more fun. Plus I am not convinced the hose was as fuel proof as I first thought.

Archived