Problem fitting new rocker cover

Wizardskills

Recently I got a new rocker cover from Rimmer Bros and I went to fit it on my GT6 this morning. This is the Rocker Cover I got. However after taking my old one off and placing this one on, the bonnet wouldn't shut. No problem I thought, I'll just adjust the bonnet so it moves up a fraction however I was met with this

The bonnet is at its full height adjustment.

Has anyone got any pearls of wisdom as to how I can get this new rocker cover to fit? (its about 6 - 10mm higher than then one that was on originally)

These are quite well known for fitting issues - apparently they were never designed for the gt6 with its tight clearances.
Is it fouling at the front? Some people have been able to squeeze them in by taking a grinder (or similar) to the top edge to create a sloping edge - I know that the one on my workbench has this.

npanne wrote:
These are quite well known for fitting issues - apparently they were never designed for the gt6 with its tight clearances.
Is it fouling at the front? Some people have been able to squeeze them in by taking a grinder (or similar) to the top edge to create a sloping edge - I know that the one on my workbench has this.

Yeah it is catching on the front and this is with no gasket just with the rocker cover placed on the head. I did look at the engine mounts but I don't think I have any adjustment on them either. As far as I can tell I have two options:

• Fix the old rocker cover i have so it won't leak oil
  • Place the new one on the milling machine and take 6mm off the bottom of it.

Canley sell a ally cover with a reduced frontal height to suit the GT6

to reduce some height the TSSC shop sells thin reuseable neoprene gaskets specifically for the ally covers with out the seal groove
made of a thin rectangular section material, so stays in place without any glue, lasts a liftime

Pete

peterhlewis wrote:
Canley sell a ally cover with a reduced frontal height to suit the GT6

to reduce some height the TSSC shop sells thin reuseable neoprene gaskets specifically for the ally covers with out the seal groove
made of a thin rectangular section material, so stays in place without any glue, lasts a liftime

Pete

Ah that is good to know. I'll have to look into that. Is this the part you mean?

http://www.canleyclassics.com/searchforapart/?ptno=GAC6004M

Hopefully Rimmer Bros will let me return the part.

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/product/alloyrockercovers.html&xsl=product.xsl

yes thats it ,,  also has a groove added for the cork gasket
   wheres Slimboy when you want him

the   TSSC Shop  flat neoprene  gaskets are 1.54mm thick  that would  drop your existing flat faced cover   it a little
GEG413NEO £7.22 members price    01858 434424    

Pete

Original SAH cover was angled at the front edge to fit; other alloy versions just will not fit without surgery and if lowered too much will hit the rockers as they move, making a lovely clattering noise in the engine bay.

490 wrote:
Original SAH cover was angled at the front edge to fit; other alloy versions just will not fit without surgery and if lowered too much will hit the rockers as they move, making a lovely clattering noise in the engine bay.

Thats not quite correct.  The cover he has from rimmers will fit under a MK3 bonnet.  I have one fitted to mine with the standard cork gasket and no surgery.

339 wrote:

Thats not quite correct.  The cover he has from rimmers will fit under a MK3 bonnet.  I have one fitted to mine with the standard cork gasket and no surgery.

Yes it is - OTHER ALLOY VERSIONS will not fit without surgery. I didn't say ALL OTHER VERSIONS.... a small point but it's what I meant, without knowing exactly which one he has. In any case, going by the photos it doesn't look like he HAS a MK3...

490 wrote:

Yes it is - OTHER ALLOY VERSIONS will not fit without surgery. I didn't say ALL OTHER VERSIONS .... a small point but it's what I meant, without knowing exactly which one he has. In any case, going by the photos it doesn't look like he HAS a MK3...

Well if you bothered to read his first post you would have noticed that he has  bought it from Rimmers thus telling you exactly which one he has.

Your comment implies that the only cover that will fit without surgery is an SAH cover.  I am sorry if i have misunderstood.

ps. Don't shout at me!!

490 wrote:

Yes it is - OTHER ALLOY VERSIONS will not fit without surgery. I didn't say ALL OTHER VERSIONS .... a small point but it's what I meant, without knowing exactly which one he has. In any case, going by the photos it doesn't look like he HAS a MK3...

and on another point i didn't say he had a MK3 I was just pointing out that these do fit under the Mk3 bonnet.

Rimmers wrote:
NOTE: GT6 ONLY - Due to minimal clearance between bonnet & rocker cover, must use thin rocker cover gasket GEG413T.
Engine & gearbox mountings should be in good condition (to minimize engine lift on acceleration).
Also engine mountings should be fitted to rear of turret plates.

So, basically what they're saying is "it doesn't fit"  :)

339 wrote:

I am sorry if i have misunderstood.

ps. Don't shout at me!!

Be sorry again. That's not shouting, it's emphasising why you misread my post. SHOUTING LOOKS LIKE THIS. Secondly: "if I had bothered to read his first post?" - that's a bit harsh, isn't it? I did, and the Rimmer Bros ad states it's for the GT6, no model mentioned. Thirdly, why mention that it'll fit a car he doesn't have - it may be true, but it doesn't exactly help the Op... :)?
However I'm well aware of the old joke about arguing on the internet, so let's shake hands and start again?

490 wrote:

Be sorry again. That's not shouting, it's emphasising why you misread my post. SHOUTING LOOKS LIKE THIS. Secondly: "if I had bothered to read his first post?" - that's a bit harsh, isn't it? I did, and the Rimmer Bros ad states it's for the GT6, no model mentioned. Thirdly, why mention that it'll fit a car he doesn't have - it may be true, but it doesn't exactly help the Op... :)?
However I'm well aware of the old joke about arguing on the internet, so let's shake hands and start again?

I didn't misread your post.  Your opinion was misleading because the information you provided wasn't correct.

"Thirdly, why mention that it'll fit a car he doesn't have - it may be true, but it doesn't exactly help the Op... :)?"  It doesn't help the OP but it does give everyone else who reads the post the correct information.

You couldn't have read his first post if you then say you don't know what cover he has fitted!

Just pointing out the facts

I accept your apology and agree to shake hands :)

Archived