Wiring confusion

Alex

I'm getting close to having my car mot'd now just the final bits of reassembly.
After some help from James with how and where to fit relays and fuses I'm now waiting for some correct wire and stuff to arrive.
I fitted my front valances and side lights and this is where Im struggling.

I cant find enough wires!
Each side light has a black,red and green wire however I can only see one green from the loom!
I do seem to have to brown/blacks with spade connectors though and i cant see what they are for?
Theres  two purple and blacks for the horn and a redcand a black.......this is all from memory!

Anyone got any clues?

Ok you think I was confused this morning you should have seen me this afternoon.....

The wires from the side lights are red,black and green.....red is side light green is the indiactor and the black will be the earth(it must have been added when the car previously got fitted with fibre glass valances(now gone).
So thats them sorted,my problem was....I could only find one green from the main loom but as luck would have it when I got home there was two a green and white trace and a green and red trace :B I really shouldnt go and try and look at these things at 10pm ;D
But the black and brown wires(2 joined together with a spade)are still there.
But I cant see them on a wiring diagram.

JensH wrote:
A photo would help... Is the black and the brown connected via the spade connector?
Someone did ad an extra ground?

Its a pair of brown wires with a black trace and yes theyre connected via a spade.

Yes the earths were added to the side lights however the actual loom(which is where the brown and black come from)looks to be completely unhacked.

Alex wrote:
Oh.... i thought someone said the earths shouldnt be on the sidelights...
Is the purple not the horn then Richard?

Its all very confuddling for me :-(

Hi Alex

On spit 1500s with the later-style switches (where the horn is activated by pressing the indicator stalk in), there should be two wires to each horn - a purple/black feed from the switch and (I'm fairly certain) a black/brown earth connection.
Unfortunately my car is safely tucked up 50 miles away in its nice cosy garage so I cannot go and check for sure.

I thought maybe you were right Bodders but I've looked again....
The purple one is taped together with a black one,the brwon and blacks are shorter and also together,but in a different part of the loom....?

Maybe theyre redundant wires?

Alex wrote:
The purple one is taped together with a black one,the brwon and blacks are shorter and also together,but in a different part of the loom....?

Maybe theyre redundant wires?

Hi Alex

If they are part of the original loom, I doubt if they are redundant wires given that your car is from the last year (or so) of production, and represents the final evolution of the Spitfire.

I was running through in my mind the other connections that come out of the loom in the engine bay:  
You've got the connection to the alternator (2 brown, 1 brown/yellow) engine oil pressure switch (White/Brown) and the temperature sender (Green/Blue).  then the loom goes forward to the horns and headlight and indicator/sidelight connections in the nose.  If you've identified and connected all these, then I suspect any left-over wires are not part of the original wiring.

Could a previous owner have customised the loom, laying in extra wires to feed an electric fan, or perhaps some fog/spot lamps?
If they have followed the original Lucas colour scheme, brown should have a permanent +12v direct (unfused) from the battery, and black should be an earth connection.  Personally, I never trust the wiring of previous owners - far to easy for the smoke to escape  :-/

Alex wrote:

Where abouts are they, this usually gives a good clue..

Can you post a piccie?  :-/

Thanks Richard and Bodders I may just hold you to that :)

I've just come in from the garage now and I had another look at those wires.....

If the purple was discoloured and they looked brown that would mean I have 3 connections doing nothing.....horn as yet not connected.
I've been waiting on some wires and relays and stuff so no progress on sparky bits.

Oh on a slightly different point.....I had 3 relays in my garage I bought a long time ago  but worked out with some help that 5 was what I actually needed.
I ordered 2 more and they came today but.....I've ordered 4 pin relays but my old ones are 5's....whats the difference?
Do they do different things?

Thanks,
Alex

Sorry! I meant 4

The 5 pin ones usually just have two extra "output" pins so you can connect two cables to them – useful when you want to connect two things such as left and right lamps. Saves you having to crimp two wires to one terminal.

Archived