Wiper switch - iffy wiring or switch..????

stevegt6

Evening....OK, just connected 2nd new wiper switch on my mk3 GT6 and still not working right...

Problem - original would not work at all (not looked at it yet)
New one wouldnt switch off...had to balance it between pos 0 and pos 1
Replacement does exactly same thing...??

Wiring as follows:
Blue/l'green - terminal 1
Green - term 2
Red/l'green - term 3
Brown/l'green - term 4

It does switch off (but doesnt park whatever) if dont connect terminal 4 (brown/l'green)

Speed 1 and speed 2 positions work ok as does washer pump action

I'm a bit confused  :-/ ...any ideas folks

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for that Harry...

OK.....so my problem is probably not the switch (had 2 new switches with exactly same issue) but on motor side...?

If it is motor, is there something i can test or look to see if a wire or whatever is shorting or not connected etc...

Or just get replacement as it only a couple weeks ago...?

Cheers
S

9077 wrote:
Have you checked/changed the parking switch on the motor?

Errr.....I will say no/yes..?? I just got a replacement wiper-motor unit.....disconnected the 'drive-wire' from old unit and then connected new motor unit....connected multi-plug....connected switch...

Where is this 'park switch' ...?

Cheers
S

It's white and looks like a multi connector plug. It connects to the motor housing and a "spigot" and cam arrangement, with the motor gear wheel, enables the power to continue once the wiper switch has been turned off until the wiper blades reach the park position.

The part number from Canleys is 517645 and it is shown on this diagram below. Unfortunately out of stock from Canleys but I got mine from Stafford Vehicle Components for £11.50

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiiiwindscreenwiper.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/gt6mkiii.html&category=electricalequipment&xsl=diagram.xsl

9077 wrote:
It's white and looks like a multi connector plug. It connects to the motor housing and a "spigot" and cam arrangement, with the motor gear wheel, enables the power to continue once the wiper switch has been turned off until the wiper blades reach the park position.

The part number from Canleys is 517645 and it is shown on this diagram below. Unfortunately out of stock from Canleys but I got mine from Stafford Vehicle Components for £11.50

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/gt6mkiiiwindscreenwiper.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/gt6mkiii.html&category=electricalequipment&xsl=diagram.xsl

Well, if that is at fault, then i will return unit for replacement as it was a full unit c/w that already fixed/wired to unit....

Worth having a poke around to ensure the auto park is aligned properly. Thinking about it I'm unsure how you could set it up accurately without attaching it to the car wiper mechanism. Perhaps they are expecting you to do that?  :-/ I'd give them a ring.

Hi Steve,
check the green wire on the motor. There should be 12 Volt to make the motor to run to the park position. If not, it can't.

As said above:
The wiper switch on the dashboard connects red/lightgreen (1st speed) to brown/lightgreen (wire to park switch).
In the "not parked" position the green wire (12volt) is connected to brown/lightgreen wire inside the park switch, so the motor can run to its park position in 1st speed. When it reaches its park position the connection, brown/lightgreen to green, is opened and the motor stops.

Cheers,
Harry

I have a similar problem with my wipers and due to me not stripping the wiring off the car before the rebuild started it has had to be guess work in putting wires back on.
When I turn my wiper switch to the first position which I pressume is intermittent nothing happens, then the next turn it goes to full speed, then the next turn it goes to slow speed but when I turn it all the way off it doesn't park, below is a picture of my switch, it incorporates the washer motor as well.
At one stage when wiring it up I'm sure I saw the wipers go intermittent but don't know how I had the wires on the switch, any help with where the wires go on this switch will be gratefully accepted.

4187 wrote:
When I turn my wiper switch to the first position which I pressume is intermittent nothing happens, then the next turn it goes to full speed, then the next turn it goes to slow speed but when I turn it all the way off it doesn't park

Intermittant??????

I'm not convinced any GT6 had them, Well not unless they had a wiring problem.

I stand to be corrected

Cheers

Colin

Not aware of intermittent on GT6's (??)
From memory of flicking through the 'guide to originality' book, I think there were about 3 different types of 'switch' (the black square bit with decal) on later cars but only differing in the decal.

Operation should be off/slow/fast - going anti-clockwise (well, thats the way mine goes anyhoo)

Dont recognise your switch Benny - Could be from an MG  :P

Lol @ DougB

Ok....had the multi-meter out early this morning before work:

Ignition on and NO brown/l'green connected on switch - 12.5v on red wire, 7.5v on yellow wire and 0.0v on blue. That 7.4v seems odd...????

Also, does the wiring look in the right places...?

4187 wrote:
What about the switch though, does anybody recognise it?

switch has a look of Triumph about it, but isn't.

Should be a big square knob I think, if same as Mk4 Spitfire.

1st click (very) slow, 2nd click slightly faster. Push to wash, either via a squishy pump, or an electric pump if you have a Toledo (?) switch.

Back of the (correct) switch
1- N/LG - Brown / light green
2 - R?LG - Red / L:ight green
3- U/LG - (U) / Light Green (what ever "U" is)
4- n/c

I think, the scan in the Heritage CD is rubbish of the wiring diagram.

Cheers

Colin

2250 wrote:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-P6-Lucas-Windscreen-Wiper-Washer-Switch-34672B-All-Working-1966-/111178121761?nma=true&si=B806Cmd6JX9V8NXUfooVkFESJgA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

cheers,
Harry

Good spot Harry, the knob is the same as mine although mine has 8 connections on the back, looks like a modification then, at least I got it working today, including intermittent but still no park.