Oil Pressure (or lack of!!)

mowerman

After successful completion of the HCR when I arrived home the oil pressure was very low and the car had used approx 4 pints in 700 odd miles. The following day whilst moving the car the oil pressure was fluctuationg on the gauge from approx nothing to 60psi.... up and down! I drained the oil, fitted new filter, oil and oil pressure relief valve. I also did a compression test but that`s another story. I now cannot get any oil pressure what so ever! I removed the new filter to check the valve and the filter was completetly dry, as if no oil is being pumped around the engine. Could the pump be broken? Do you have to prime the oil circuit if the relief valve is renewed?  Any help or advice would be most welcome.  :(
(sits down with large glass of red wine to await advice :-/)

I would suspect the oil pump drive.

Take off the distributor complete with its pedestal, and then, after carefully noting the position of the gear underneath, remove the gear and see if the drive tongue is broken off.

You haven't bashed the sump recently have you?  From your description it does sound like the pump has 'lost its prime' and the fluctuating oil pressure before hand could indicate a suction side leak maybe due to a damaged pick-up pipe.
The pump should self prime unless you either have a large suction leak or it is completely knackered.  Whats the history of this engine? 4 pints in 700 miles doesn't sound like and indication of glowing health to me (why was I worrying about a pint every 1500??).

You might be able to prime the pump by squirting some oil into the relief valve hole but it sounds like there is a pump / pickup pipe/ pump drive issue.

Nick

I have heard of the pump feed coming off the pump. Could be a sump off job I'm afraid. Not sure if this is accessible, but you could try spinning the pump with a drill to see if you get any pressure without the engine running (and without you doing any more damage).

Worrying that th engine used 4 pints of oil in 700 miles, where did it all go? Out of the exhuast or over the engine bay?

Thanks for the tips on where to look. The oil light stays on and the gauge doesn`t move. I have conducted a compression test and it looks like no`s 2 and 6 cylinders are very low on compression, 100 psi compared to 150 psi on the others.  Doesn`t leak oil and no visible excessive smoke. I`ll check the oil pump drive but really I suspect an engine rebuild :(

Still, good excuse to lightly modify it and get a few more horses :)

Did a wet and dry compression test, the differential was the same between the cylinders so that suggests valves rather than rings. Removed the oil filter and pressure relief valve, turned the engine over, still no oil from either orifice.Checked the distributor drive and thats ok, taken out the distributor and inspected the drive tongue on the top of the oil pump drive, that appears ok as well. Now need to make up a tool to turn the oil pump shaft and see what happens!! I still think the oil pump is knackered and the engine got to come out :-/

Did a wet and dry compression test, the differential was the same between the cylinders so that suggests valves rather than rings. Removed the oil filter and pressure relief valve, turned the engine over, still no oil from either orifice.Checked the distributor drive and thats ok, taken out the distributor and inspected the drive tongue on the top of the oil pump drive, that appears ok as well. Now need to make up a tool to turn the oil pump shaft and see what happens!! I still think the oil pump is knackered and the engine got to come out :-/

Ok, made up tool to spin oil pump, attached to drill turned on and...................nothing!
Not a drop of oil from either the filter housing or the relief valve hole.  there seems to be resistance from the pump but no oil.  Does anyone know if the pump works in both directions, ie will it pump both clockwise and anti clockwise?

Archived