Hi!
Clutch pedal on my mk2 pi is biting on the floor -ie: i am finding it hard to stop the car and am having to be ready to move off straight away on lifting the pedal.
The clutch came to me on a high mileage engine and i have done at least 70 000 miles on it!
i know that the slave cyl is ok and that the correct alignment is connected to the gearbox crossarm.   Sorry to be longwinded but my question is...
Is there a way of confirming the clutch itself or could it be something like a broken spring in the master cyl?
Ps the release bearing is very noisy with foot off of the clutch pedal.

When you press the clutch pedal does the clutch actuating lever move over its full travel? If not, it would tend to suggest a fault in either the master cylinder or slave cylinder.  If you suspect the master cylinder then it may be worth dismantling it and rebuilding it anyway, it'd be cheaper and easier than replacing the clutch and may be the cause of your problems.

Obvious question but have you tried bleeding the system to see if that helps?  Can you adjust the point at which the slave cylinder connects to the clutch arm to give more travel?

Does the clutch slip?  Unfortunately, even if it doesn't, it's quite possible that the clutch assembly has developed a fault which prevents it from releasing properly in which case you'll have to remove the gearbox for a look.

Assuming its not the hydraulics, its almost certainly the cross shaft pin broken (or breaking) in the fork thats on the cross shaft in the bell housing.

Even new ones tend to break, and when they do, they allow too much movement in the clutch actuator. Check the hydraulics and if they are ok, be prepared to remove the gearbox (removal and replacement will take a day). if the pin is broken it should be obvious, but you may not be able to remove it all, which often leaves the actuating fork stuck on the cross shaft.

this will need cutting off. So before removal buy a new clutch fork and pin

at the same time it would be worth replacing clutch cover plate, clutch and release bearing.

good luck

mike

the forks are often modified by drilling the arm and cross shaft to take an additional roll pin, which usually prevents the problem occuring again.

The thrust washers are only 2-3mm thick, if they fail you do know about it, but you can check the thrusts by leavering the crank pulley backwards and forwards, preferably with a dial indicator to measure end float.

Even no thrust washers probably won't affect the clutch travel that much

mike

Badly worn thrusts (and crank thrust faces) can cause clutch change problems. Checked by levering the front pulley away from the timing chain cover.

If that is the cause then the crank "quite" oftern is scrap.  :'(

Hopefully it's something simpler.  :)

Thankyou all for your suggestions etc.
I will try the easy options 1st then ( i think ), if the gearbox has to come out i will change the engine clutch and box in one go.
If i do find the cause of the problem i will let you know!!!

Hi!
Just read some replies on Clutch II thread - have never been able to bleed the clutch on my PI without an eezibleed until the last time when we just pumped the clutch pedal, this is why i suspect something wrong the hydraulics (?)!!! -Sorry should have stated this earlier.

• 1 month later...

I have changed the clutch for a complete Laycock unit, no problems found whatsoever other than a 3mm difference of thickness between old and new centre plates.  Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I can't believe how different and easy the car is to drive now- nice light pedal and no noise from the release bearing!!!
Cheers!!!
8)

mikew wrote:
The thrust washers are only 2-3mm thick, if they fail you do know about it, but you can check the thrusts by leavering the crank pulley backwards and forwards, preferably with a dial indicator to measure end float.

Even no thrust washers probably won't affect the clutch travel that much

My thrust bearing on the rear face was completely eaten up after dropping out - didn't notice a thing except selecting reverse was always a crunchy affair.

Julian

Archived