Do I Need An Oil Cooler?

Anthony

royboy66 wrote:
Some mkIII owners will even say, what you need is a Mk1 or Mk2 GT6 to go with it, :)

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

At takes about 20 minutes for  oil to get to 170 degrees where conventional oils start to work  the way they are designed to. Below that you will get less lubrication and more wear. Synthetic oil works at almost any temp. As said above  if racing maybe . If used on street cars they must have a thermostat. Just more weight  and more places to leak oil

If it's a standard road car and you use it as such then no, your money is better spent elsewhere. If it's a fast road car and you do a lot of high revs/hard work/hot oil type stuff then yes, always with a thermostat. A cooler both cools the oil and increases the capacity slightly, both good (if with a stat) for a hard worked engine.

uksnatcher wrote:

Exactly....that 100HP porker isnt a match on the 700HP GT6  (dance) (whistle)

Haahaa.....when I was younger I thought about putting twin Haysbusa engines in the GT6

One in the engine bay for the front wheels, and the other in the boot for the rear wheels

The plan was to turbo charge them both, and run them on E85 fuel!

I've still got the plans for the layout and tube chassis in the loft somewhere

Have a look at Andy Robinson Racecars, HoleShot Racing, and Big CC Racing, as they're the guys I was speaking with

Andy for the chassis, and the others for the engine work

I decided against it though as it was far too much work and money to plough into it

Archived