ferny

For a while I've felt a knock through the gearstick as I put it into second. I assumed my 'spirited' driving was causing the syncro to be going. Then third started to crunch as I changed into it which I thought was me being too quick in changing.

I started to notice the clutch pedal was very light so changed the fluid which was black... and the car was back to normal.

I noticed in the traffic jam at 11:30pm on the M1 last night that my biting point on my clutch was now at the top of the pedal and when pulling away it revved before it picked up (slipping clutch?).

I've checked the fluid level today and it's not moved. The fluid looks slightly milky but that could be light and reflections. I will bleed it again as a matter of course and nose at the slave cylinder. The roads were VERY wet last night from rain but I can't see that making a big difference.

So, I'm guessing the clutch is on it's way out and I'll need another. Any suggestions? Aren't/weren't there some dodge low quality ones floating around? It's a standard engine and gearbox from a 13/60. Any other suggestions as to whether any simple improvements can be made? I don't want to put standard stuff in to later find that if I spent £30 more or bought a different one I would have something much better. :)

I would avoid the current Delphi Borg & Beck product. The manufacturing quality is decent enough, but the design has been changed, making the clutch cover shallower. This introduces a large amount of free play before the release bearing meets the cover. The result is that the clutch does not disengage until the pedal is at the end of it's travel.
There are some decent budget clutches on the market right now, though I would not personally use one from QH,
Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:
I would avoid the current Delphi Borg & Beck product. The manufacturing quality is decent enough, but the design has been changed, making the clutch cover shallower. This introduces a large amount of free play before the release bearing meets the cover. The result is that the clutch does not disengage until the pedal is at the end of it's travel.
There are some decent budget clutches on the market right now, though I would not personally use one from QH,
Cheers,
Bill.

Yeah if you go for one of them put a slightly longer clutch actuating pin in, and/or extend the bolt cutaway of the slave cylinder so it goes further into the bellhousing.

Archived