Spitfire uprated alternator

jonnyk5614

Just uprated the headlamps and think I may need an uprated alternator. I will be running 130/90w bulbs (when off road of course) and will thus be drawing 22amp from the headlamps alone (whilst the Lucase supplies 23amp).

Any advice on a cheap but good quality upgrade. I'm looking for arrount 35-50amp.

Any advice appreciated.

Many thanks!

I put one like this on my GT6 to power twin 150w (300w total) spotlights.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JAGUAR-XJ6-HIGH-OUTPUT-ALTERNATOR-65-AMP_W0QQitemZ400095624801QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item5d278ebe61

It has been on for two years and done the 2008 RBRR and the 2009 10CR so seems reliable enough :)

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the bulbs as I have a set the same and was thinking of fitting them and removing my spotlamps as they do spoil the lines of the car. However when needed they are superb which is why they stayed on!!!

I have used a few Lucas A127

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LUCAS-A127-ALTERNATOR_W0QQitemZ250571267292QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a57361cdc

Except I paid a couple of quid each for secondhand on Ebay.

Fitted to various cars in the scrapyard. They do bigger than 55amp as well, 70amp is common.

Fords and Rovers from about 20 years ago. get one with a V-belt pulley of course.

Cheers

Colin

Cheers for that guys.
I very carefully ordered the correct relays and didn't give alternator a thought until 5mins after I paid!!!
I wasn't going to upgrade alternator loom for 55amp - figured it'd cope but should I perhaps? If so, to what extent. I might just patch a second cable into the first section of wiring (does it go to the fuse box first - can't remember!)
And yes, alternator output follows demand so heating isn't a problem if you're only going to draw say 20amp from a 100amp unit.
Any ideas what peak load from standard kit is (i.e. heater, wipers and all original lights)?

Once again, great help!

just to put in my little bit of info , is it true that if you put on a bigger alternator you need a bigger wire { diameter} for the feed to the battery . the reason offered was that if you push start a flat battery the alternator can melt the wires charging that flat battery. i put on a new bigger output alt on my car and plan to double the charging wire.

The wire from the alternator to the battery wants to be rated at (or above) the power capacity of the alternator.

So yes putting a 70 amp alternator on the wire rated by Triumph for your 25 amp dynamo can result in an embarrasing molten mess  :B

You can put in an additional " helper wire" from the alternator to either the battery positive or the big terminal on the starter solenoid - no need to unpick the loom to switch the existing wire for a bigger one.  You should power the headlights from the same place (via a suitable fuse!) and just use the old lighting circuit to switch a relay.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
You can put in an additional " helper wire" from the alternator to either the battery positive or the big terminal on the starter solenoid - no need to unpick the loom to switch the existing wire for a bigger one.  You should power the headlights from the same place (via a suitable fuse!) and just use the old lighting circuit to switch a relay.

Nick

My thoughts precisely - just glad to hear someone else say them unprompted!

I'll patch a second cable to the + terminal - some nice meaty oven cable should do the trick.
I have a little bank of fuses fed straight of + terminal (that way I know where I stand!!!) with everything being fed via reclaimed 13amp mains cable (Mum is yet to notice the extension box cables getting steadilly shorter!!!).
Relays were the first thing I ordered, some nice 40amp ones.
Original wiring to switch to power relays.
Job done!

Cheers for your help guys. Ill probably go for a cheap XJ6 unit. Europarts do them for £40 (55amp). That'll have to wait until payday so I'll run down the battery in the mean time!

Quick update.
I had to pick up a parcel from the sorting office but there was a problem - there is a brilliant old fashioned motor factors next door. So I went in to buy a bit of cable - and came out with £40 worth of recon 60amp Ford alternator "that should fit".
Get home, get the old one out and spend 1/2 hour getting the pulley off only to find that (contarary to the guy in the shop's opininion) it doesn't fit.
Alternator back together and back into car!
Back to the shop and out comes the box with washers, fans and pulleys. In process of attempting to match everything, had to remove a stuck pulley with a hammer. Eventually, found a combination that seemed to work.
Got home, took out old one and put new one together. Problem - thread messed up from wacking with hammer. After 1/2 hour of sawing, filing and grinding, eventually manage to get the bolt on then discover that fan is pushing hard against casing. Useing a screwdriver ben fan blades a bit, slot into car (with about 2mm clearance from fan and 10 mins of swearing to get the belt on.
Thank god the bloody thing works after all of that!

Relays didn't arrive today so wiring to happen tomorrow. I'll take a 120amp cable from alternator straight to battery. The headlamps will be on relays (plugged into old wiring) with a live feen straight from the battery (on a fuse).

Angel eye headlamps (although not fitted yet) look really good http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/landrover-defender/hl713-ccdefender-angel-eye-headlights-landrover-defender.html
and the 130w bulbs are incredible (obviously, this is only for off road use!).

I'll post some pics of "before and after" when it is done.
Cheers for all your help.

1045 wrote:

Angel eye headlamps (although not fitted yet) look really good http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/landrover-defender/hl713-ccdefender-angel-eye-headlights-landrover-defender.html
and the 130w bulbs are incredible (obviously, this is only for off road use!).

That's interesting, the webpage says that they fit the Triumph Vitesse, which of course has 5.75" diameter lamps, not 7" like these!

I don't think I would buy from them.

L

lordleonusa wrote:

That's interesting, the webpage says that they fit the Triumph Vitesse, which of course has 5.75" diameter lamps, not 7" like these!

I don't think I would buy from them.

L

Oo yes, so it does. A little error on their part. Email them and they may give you a discount by way of thanks!
In any case, it does say Lucas 7" in the description.

No relays yet but in bench testing, the headlamps are superb. Bosch 130w bulbs are amazing!
Angel eyes look good but will have to wait until they are on the car to decide whether I will wire them in.

• 2 weeks later...

Lights all in and looking bloody good. Great, flawless white light. Will get some photos up as soon as I have a chance.

Here are the bulbs I used.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H4-HALOGEN-BOSCH-HIGH-POWER-HEADLAMP-BULBS-X2-130-90W_W0QQitemZ270485155350QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3efa2bee16

Archived