VITESSE 1600 Engine revision - Details & Specs

LOTUS54

A joyful 2023 to all colleagues!
We are considering a complete revision of our Vitesse 1600 Convertible.
Unfortunately information and parts for the small engine are extremely rare. However we do NOT want to convert to 2 litre...

Thus please provide hints and tips where to find
a) exact engine specifications / sizes (pistons / bearing / crankshaft ....) - and/or
b) sources for spare-parts (oversize..) or hints what parts of other enines (1300 / 2000..) may fit?

Thx a lot for support!

IMG_0090.JPG

• Like 1

The crank and bearings are common to the early 2L Mk1 but only up to HC4500 (early 2000 saloon had a longer production run of that spec). The pistons are unique. Herald 1200 pistons are a significant overbore and I've seen references to potential problems with the water jacket between bores.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Lotus54.

There are at least 2 versions of the 1600, one with Solex carbs and rated output of 70hp and those with Stromberg carbs with an unofficial 85hp. I own a 65 1600 saloon which has the later Strombergs. The 1600 is a sweet engine that can be tuned to decent amount of reliable power, its all about the breathing.
Pete Lewis is the man with the 1600 knowledge but I do not know if he frequents this forum.
A lot of Mk1 2000 ancillaries will fit the 1600 but if swapping inlet manifolds from a saloon remember the saloon engine is canted over on an angle and the inlet is cast to counter that angle.
For parts I nearly always Canleys
As has been mentioned above Vitesse Steve has a fantastic site that has copies of Triumph manuals.

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/

I have a spare short block but whether it will turn is doubtful and I have a NOS bare cylinder head. Keeping then as just in case as these are becoming the rare Vitesse even though it was the most built model.

I am in New Zealand

Dear Friends,

thank you for the useful hints!
Will have a look at the manuals and links provided.
I am in Vienna / Austria (not Australia...) and own this beauty besides some other sidekicks (XJ6 S1/ 300CE ) since 1975. My son has a LR S1 SWB from 1955 etc...
The Vitesse so far was completely restored, only the engine is untouched and slowly fading out...

My main brand actually is Borgward, if that rings a bell?

All the best!
LH

ISA Coupe+XJ6 2.8.jpg

IMG_20190505_123033.jpg

Koroni2006-B2000+Landy.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Borgwards are beautiful cars.
They imported them to New Zealand and I recall seeing the coupes as an enthusiast who collected them lived about 20 minutes away. Also a work colleague owned an estate
I have owned Landrovers and my parents owned a 1954 SWB but what is the 4wd truck in your photos.

Good luck with your Vitesse.