Castle Combe Trackday 4th May

Clive

Looks like I’m in with the other spitfires too 👍🏻

have had hellish time fitting LSD … had to buy a later diff, new crown wheel & pinion set, change the flanges on both driveshafts and the propshaft (kinda frustrating as they were all reconditioned and balanced over the winter) even then, today, I had to drive the lsd to Coventry for additional machining as it touched inside the casing 🙈🙈🙈

so currently I have absolutely no mechanicals fitted in the car behind the gearbox…

• Like 2

Thanks, 65!    Issued, I think, before I was promoted from reserve, to Group C.   There's at least one other racer in there, Dave Bailey, who is always faster than me in his TR4, unless he is trying out something in it.  So am I, at least that'll be my excuse!

See y'all there.

John

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Thanks, 65!    Issued, I think, before I was promoted from reserve, to Group C.   There's at least one other racer in there, Dave Bailey, who is always faster than me in his TR4, unless he is trying out something in it.  So am I, at least that'll be my excuse!

See y'all there.

John

Looks like we are all in the same group. We can let you show us the lines as we try to keep up.

• Like 1

Well this is my car right now 🙈

I’ve got the diff and various shafts ready to go back in…

Then I need to sort the brakes…

And a bunch of other stuff I’ve not been able to get to !!!!

can’t wait though 😉😉😉

CB09C058-8D55-4F7F-8F91-E0DBF0B2A768.jpeg

F84458AA-A4FD-4AD4-9280-5B85D3C743B6.jpeg

98ABB9A7-2BDB-4C1E-8668-29EC32F61080.jpeg

Edited by 65redspit

45 minutes ago, 65redspit said:

Well this is my car right now 🙈

I’ve got the diff and various shafts ready to go back in…

Then I need to sort the brakes…

And a bunch of other stuff I’ve not been able to get to !!!!

can’t wait though 😉😉😉

CB09C058-8D55-4F7F-8F91-E0DBF0B2A768.jpeg

F84458AA-A4FD-4AD4-9280-5B85D3C743B6.jpeg

98ABB9A7-2BDB-4C1E-8668-29EC32F61080.jpeg

May I compliment you on your choice of trolly jack? Lovely things those Webers

• Like 1

I currently have the rear spring and radius arms off my car. I had new bushes in a cupboard. However, it turns out they are for non-roto arms, so too small. I popped to Wins and picked up 4 superflex bushes yesterday, and today to Namricks to buy some hefty wahers and bolts that have a shank long enough that the threads won't wear the brackets again. Ho hum. Changing the rear spring to the one liberated from the MK3 spit, it is barely used. Hoping that lot will cure my clonk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Clive said:

I currently have the rear spring and radius arms off my car. I had new bushes in a cupboard. However, it turns out they are for non-roto arms, so too small. I popped to Wins and picked up 4 superflex bushes yesterday, and today to Namricks to buy some hefty wahers and bolts that have a shank long enough that the threads won't wear the brackets again. Ho hum. Changing the rear spring to the one liberated from the MK3 spit, it is barely used. Hoping that lot will cure my clonk.

Lol we make a pair - good luck with it, see you at the track !!

Good luck both of you, on Thurs evening I stripped down my brake calipers to try and cure a slight pull to one side under heavy braking. New stainless pistons and seals, but then I rounded off one of the bleed screws putting it all back together. Hoping the replacement from Paddocks arrives on Tuesday so I can fully bleed the system with confidence. Can manage as is by whacking a socket onto the screw but it's not ideal.

@Clive incidentally, do you know if early fixed rear spring is same as for roto? I was wondering for when I get round to converting. Currently using a swing spring

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Good luck both of you, on Thurs evening I stripped down my brake calipers to try and cure a slight pull to one side under heavy braking. New stainless pistons and seals, but then I rounded off one of the bleed screws putting it all back together. Hoping the replacement from Paddocks arrives on Tuesday so I can fully bleed the system with confidence. Can manage as is by whacking a socket onto the screw but it's not ideal.

@Clive incidentally, do you know if early fixed rear spring is same as for roto? I was wondering for when I get round to converting. Currently using a swing spring

I tried a new roto spring at one point, but the border raiders weekend killed it (refunded). (happy to disclose supplier by PM only)

An OE spec rotoflex spring may be best. But the mk3 spit used a std mk3 spring. Nick jones has used a swingspring on his sons Roto spit. I have had a "hybrid" spring made from at least 2, but has the same number of leaves and about the same arch as the MK3 spring. A nightmare? Yes. 

Thankfully the weather looks hopeful for Thursday. Fingers crossed on that.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Clive said:

Nick jones has used a swingspring on his sons Roto spit.

That was true until recently, but is no longer. Bizarrely the Spit swing spring was making it sit too high and it was swapped for a GT6 roto spring, which was making a mates GT6 sit too low but works perfectly on the Spit. Handling wise it doesn’t seem to make very much difference.

Edited by Nick Jones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nick Jones said:

That was true until recently, but is no longer. Bizarrely the Spit swing spring was making it sit too high and it was swapped for a GT6 roto spring, which was making a mates GT6 sit too low but works perfectly on the Spit. Handling wise it doesn’t seem to make very much difference.

Jones’s Springs will make you a custom spec one for the price of a standard one from most of the main suppliers…

Spent more than 1/2 the day pressing out & trying to fit new bushings into the diff 🙈🙈 finally got the diff in, prop & driveshafts bolted up, rear hubs in & brake reconnected … think I’m getting too old for this mullarkey - I’m cream crackered !!!!

Edited by 65redspit

9 hours ago, 65redspit said:

Jones’s Springs will make you a custom spec one for the price of a standard one from most of the main suppliers…

The trouble is knowing what you want. As the used or new springs seem to all be different. And how do you measure the rate of a leaf spring? (I can do coils, though have nearly broken my neck more than once by falling off!)