Castle Combe Trackday 4th May

Clive

Deep thanks to Kevin for arranging this track day.  Despite sprints and hill climbs, Triumph is no longer represented in circuit racing.   His efforts are the next best thing !

I learnt at lot about the new SofS, which went well, despite some probs with the new gearbox, but most of all, good to see again old friends like Nick and Pete, and see faces I only knew as names on message boards.

On to Thruxton for Sunday.   Meanwhile I'm touring some West country beauty spots!

John

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Another cracking track day, blimey I'm tired now! Had to have a sleep on way home. I took some videos but hardly any photos. Will get vids edited ASAP and post up here. 

Great to see everyone. @Colin Treby hope your engine damage is fixable quickly... although it sounded ominous.

It was excellent - great to meet you all, hopefully next time my tyres will fit in the arches 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

Deep thanks to Kevin for arranging this track day.  Despite sprints and hill climbs, Triumph is no longer represented in circuit racing.   His efforts are the next best thing !

I learnt at lot about the new SofS, which went well, despite some probs with the new gearbox, but most of all, good to see again old friends like Nick and Pete, and see faces I only knew as names on message boards.

On to Thruxton for Sunday.   Meanwhile I'm touring some West country beauty spots!

John

Good to meet you too - good luck at Thruxton !!

3 hours ago, MarkB said:

Excellent! Thanks for the video Pete. Your Spit goes really well. Have you a  a swing spring fitted?

Thanks Mark, much appreciated! Yes it's got a swing spring. Not sure how much difference that makes as I haven't taken it round a track on swing axles but I'm very careful to only ever brake in a straight line anyway. It also has a big-valve head which I ported in an amateur style.

I should also have thanked @Clive for being the reassuring voice of reason when I convinced myself the engine was about to detonate because it had a tiny oil weep. Thanks Clive! You make a good counsellor.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, PeteStupps said:

Here's my highlights reel from Thursday. Should have taken more still photos, and also should have had video recording for 2nd session when I had front row seats for a spinning Spitfire. 

Pete, great video, thank you so much for sharing 👍🏻🏁🏁

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 65redspit said:

He is an excellent driver, for sure, follow his lines they are spot on 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

On 06/05/2023 at 19:13, Clive said:

That is an understatement! It flies, I think the driver has a fair bit to do with that.

Head-swelling praise but this is very generous, I think I was just more reckless with car and tyres than most people in the group, and maybe got lucky with the engine and suspension setup. Definitely couldn't keep up with the bigger boys when it went to open pit-lane. Bloody good fun either way.  

@65redspit are you tempted to try skinnier tyres that fit in the arches next time?!

@65redspit are you tempted to try skinnier tyres that fit in the arches next time?!”

Yes but it happens with the road tyres occasionally too … I was trying to be too clever, the ones I was using I had bought for my Dolomite Sprint thinking I could potentially use them for both cars… if I get my arches sorted I potentially can - didn’t help on the day limiting my suspension travel and the concern the issue might shred a tyre mid-session !!

• 2 weeks later...