marktheherald

I have been offered a Vitesse bonnet today,(Mk unknown and not seen yet by me) it is supposedly straight and solid. Assuming it needs a little fettling and paint, what would be a realistic price? (In other words, what does anyone think I should offer without being rude!) I have it in mind for my 13/60.

Genuinely good ones are not common.  Discriminating between a genuinely good one and one that has skilfully plopped up can be quite hard.

Finding out what he wants for it is a good starting point.  Even a good one is not hugely valuable as the market isn't very big and they are bulky to transport.  I'd like to find a good one - less than £ 100 and located in south Somerset obviously..... I can dream!

Nick

Me too.

I just dug a bunch of filler and rust out of my drivers side front wheelarch. Thinking of replacing the whole wing reather than patching it as there are other areas of concern too. Any one got any experience here?

The arch the other side has had a repair panel let in at some point - on top of the original by the look of the joint with the inner arch - at least 3 layers there.

I hate bodywork  :-/

Re replacement panels, I don't think anybody makes proper vitesse wings. Those that are available are modified 13/60 ones.
When I built my vitesse I was lucky to find an almost rot free example as a body sections donor. Had a very good bonnet, but accident damage to one wing. That was replced, and the other one needed a smal patch. 10 years later the small patch had a few bubbles. The "new" wing was moth eaten all over the place.
I like to repair rather than replace these days, especially for a all weathers car (which mine are) However, you can only repair so much before replacment becomes the only realistic option.
Ramblings over......

I fitted new wings to mine in the late 80s just as the new wing panels became available.  At the time I was advised by a friend in the trade to stick with the 13/60 pressing as the Vitesse one was just a not very good alteration of that anyway.  I also found that the panel was pressed from metal that is too thin, which irritates me to this day.  I don't  know if they still pressed from thinner metal?  I did a crap job of fitting them too....  :B

If the rot is contained within the first swage line then I'd vote to repair

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

If the rot is contained within the first swage line then I'd vote to repair

Nick

It is, so I will heed your and Clive's advice.

I see Fitchetts, who I understand have many of the original press tools list a "Front/rear wing arch repair panel" Strange it will fit both - must be a comprimise?

I fitted two front wings to my Vitesse recently, supplied by Fitchets. They are modified 13.60 wings with a fillet of metal let in around the headlight area. A good fit everything lined up, unlike the rear wing that I also fitted which was quarter inch to short in length and the pressing around the rear wheel arch isn't as sharp as the original, but you have to make do with whats available, wherever possible I try to repair the original.  

Presumably good and bad repro's. As I understood it Fitchetts where the only one producing the rear wing and supplied the rest of the trade. They did warn me that they were not brilliant. But to be honest unless you were a right anorak, once fitted it would be hard to tell it from an original pressing.  

93 wrote:
but you have to make do with whats available, wherever possible I try to repair the original.  

I tried that once with a 1200 bonnet I wanted to save, and entrusted it to a local bodyworker. He charged me £400. I could have bought a good second hand one for £25 in those days...
I currently have two Fitchett-supplied wings for my 1200 bonnet - how much fettling are they likely to require?

Archived