RBRR Route

I think a lot of the updates have migrated to WhatsApp. It's definitely used by the organising team to keep thing coordinated and I think that there was an unofficial chat group for entrants as well.

The bad weather caused a lot of challenges and multiple cars had to divert or were badly delayed.

Cheers

Howard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I used to like the old message board that Keith setup, but nobody really used it and nothing equivalent was setup on new site, everyone had just migrated to FB. 

I think this is a time and effort versus reward issue. 20 years ago we were creating bespoke solutions to solve very specific requirements. Today, WhatsApp does 99.9% of everything we need; to be able to run an event diary with photo updates, map locations, live location updates, organiser-only push notification news feeds, etc etc. My only issue with WhatsApp is GDPR and sharing contact phone numbers with people I don't even know.

• Like 1

+ what Craig said. The message diary of old was also an extra cost to us that we just couldn't justify.
We have 'migrated' to WhatsApp for most of our mobile messaging needs - the organisers run a few groups, including for the pre-run admin. We then have 2 groups 'live' 
  • The "Announce Group" - open to all participants using the phone numbers from their CT user profiles. This is where only the organisers post and only with relevant updates. There's no 'chat' to keep it clean and concise.
  • The "Marshalls Group" - only for official marshals and this is a chat group but it's for exchange of running data - retirements, opening and closing controls etc. RBRR participants have no access. 
There is also an 'unofficial' group, called the "RBRR Plebs Group", this is not administered by the club, Bradley Lourens set this up last time and resurrected it this time. I am in it but I have no admin rights. I'm indebted to Bradley for doing this as I can't be administering WhatsApp groups whilst on the run and to be honest, the thought of trying to keep a group like that useable with potentially 300 participants in it fills me with dread!

The time to get into these groups is as soon as they are announced/opened, if you're not invited then ask, you won't be excluded, just maybe overlooked by busy Admins! People asking to be added as I'm sat in the car on the start line may not receive my full attention, especially if I'm driving, or sleeping - same goes for any group admin.

Entrants can of course set up their own groups and perhaps run them by model or friendship groups etc. I have, in the past, set up groups for personal weekend trips and closed them down when the trip is over.

There's a bit of opportunity here, I wonder if we could look at WhatsApp integration and display messages on the website somehow - a sort of window on WhatsApp? Of course there's the issue of censorship/standards - what is said on a private WhatsApp group may not always be family friendly! Something for us to look into - if anyone has any WhatsApp integration experience please let me know!

11 hours ago, Rutty said:

How to Join was posted on the CT forum.

Did see that, seemed to be a small group to discuss what spares were available in a breakdown, certainly did not come over as a replacement fir the old message board.

None of this helps someone not taking part from keeping up with the entrants, and specific ones of course.

back to just sending text messages to interested parties and perhaps WhatsApp messages direct to individuals I guess. 

we also put a few photos on our Just Giving page.

Perhaps the time has come fir live vehicle tracking with people having to give status?

Edited by thescrapman

On 10/10/2023 at 20:11, thescrapman said:

Did see that, seemed to be a small group to discuss what spares were available in a breakdown, certainly did not come over as a replacement fir the old message board.

None of this helps someone not taking part from keeping up with the entrants, and specific ones of course.

back to just sending text messages to interested parties and perhaps WhatsApp messages direct to individuals I guess. 

we also put a few photos on our Just Giving page.

Perhaps the time has come fir live vehicle tracking with people having to give status?

If you had joined the group you would have found out it was much more than a small group discussing spares. In fact it is still very active with 82 messages today 3 days after the event. Discussing everything from scotch pies to mpg.

Also the live360 app gave live tracking for those who wanted it and you could have sent the link to anyone you liked. It was interesting seeing who had got the furthest up the A1 on Friday.

5 hours ago, Rutty said:

If you had joined the group you would have found out it was much more than a small group discussing spares. In fact it is still very active with 82 messages today 3 days after the event. Discussing everything from scotch pies to mpg.

Also the live360 app gave live tracking for those who wanted it and you could have sent the link to anyone you liked. It was interesting seeing who had got the furthest up the A1 on Friday.

The A1 comment was exactly what I was thinking! That's one point when we used it too. The satnav files from the forum sent us that way and to be honest, at the time is was a bit peeved at their error but as the messages came through about the water and fog I was quite happy in the end!