WIMPUS

Hi,

I've got trouble with black plugs when i drive into traffic jams etc.
Have this for a while, sometimes it's fine, sometimes start to misfire.
Turning the mixture down doesn't help as it starts to sputter.., or could this be timing? (normally that's setup right to).

Also what i've seen today (after 2 years..), that my pistons are not the same type (different number).

I had a look at my 2 spare carbs sets that i had.
First one is FZX 1258 (the same one as on my spitfire), they had both the same number on them (but totally different at the ones on my car).
Then my second set FZX 1122 , they have the AUC 1331B pistons, again both where the same ..

Could this be an issue or not ?  

Pics below is of the ones in my Spitfire.

Hi, I noticed I had different pistons in my HS2s I ordered a replacement from ebay of the right type, I had one from an MG. However I did not notice any significant difference in performance.

Changing the spindles and ensuring there were no leaks in the inlet manifold gaskets as well as changing the needles to a richer one such that it could be leaner at idle and then still be rich enough when under load made much more difference.

Regards,
Andy

Had a problem with black plugs and black exhaust smoke with my 2500 when I rebuilt the motor. After trying all other adjustments failed, I replaced both needles and jets (with standard ones). After all the originals were  40 odd years old.
This cured the problem. Car is now running very well.
Tony.(eek)

Quoted from nang
Had a problem with black plugs and black exhaust smoke with my 2500 when I rebuilt the motor. After trying all other adjustments failed, I replaced both needles and jets (with standard ones). After all the originals were  40 odd years old.
This cured the problem. Car is now running very well.
Tony.(eek)

My needles are 2 years old (but done around 30.000miles with them).
The jets are the original ones as i didnt want to buy a waxstat conversion kit.

If the jets are the originals (and Waxstats!) you found your problem I think.  Buy new fixed jets and a conversion kit.

Other possible problems:
If it happens mainly when stuck in traffic it might be a heat-soak problem - you could try some heatshields.  If it's a problem more associated with long periods of idling and it seems to get richer the longer it idles it could also be leaking needle valves causing the fuel level to rise in the float chambers.  Could be caused by tired needle valves or fuel pressure too high.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
If the jets are the originals (and Waxstats!) you found your problem I think.  Buy new fixed jets and a conversion kit.

Nick

Nick, i've converted them with 2 eurocents, so they are fixed  
Had problems when i start to drive her , eventually flooding at every stop i did..

Quoted from GTRoger
Wim, if your engine is running rich at idle it's well worth replacing the jets. It's the jets that wear, not the needles. You really should measure CO levels as it will tell you something about the condition of your carbs.

Co is usually high, always need to turn it down for the emissions test
But as i told you on fb, i've adjusted the carbs again (tune up) and seems to be a lot better now.
The big test will be next week in traffic, but noticed already it isn't smoky anymore then the last few days.

Maybe in the future i will cash out for a waxstat conversion , now i've got waxstat jets that are converted with 2 eurocents to a normal jet.

First thing will be a new OD, clutch etc 😲

Quoted from Pete Lewis
Most over rich running when all adjustments seem correct is down to the choke not returning the jet to its adjnnut after youve used it
pete

I had problems before with the jets not returning fully back.
But fitted new springs this year (or last year) and that fixed the problem.

Quoted from piman
Hello Wim,

throttle shaft wear is more noticeable at idle, but the effect on normal running is much less, in other words it's nice to get that aspect corrected but it is not a big issue, at full throttle it's not even relevant

Alec

My idle seems to be pretty good, but around 1000rpm.
But had a look at a spare set of carbs i got with a bunch of parts and at first measurements it only needs a new shaft.

I am still having some mixture problems with my hs2's. But as for the throttle spindles I've been told if you replace these you have to ream out the old bush before you put the new one in. I did some research and there is a guy on eBay that sells them new with a tiny rubber O seal on the ends. You don't need to ream the old bushes out and when you install them just give them a light librication with some oil. Works a treat and stopped all my vacuum leaks. Now I just need to figure out my fueling problems...

Quoted from 2009poolesparky
I am still having some mixture problems with my hs2's. But as for the throttle spindles I've been told if you replace these you have to ream out the old bush before you put the new one in. I did some research and there is a guy on eBay that sells them new with a tiny rubber O seal on the ends. You don't need to ream the old bushes out and when you install them just give them a light librication with some oil. Works a treat and stopped all my vacuum leaks. Now I just need to figure out my fueling problems...

Well i do have 2 spare body's that seems to be pretty good, so need to check those with new shafts.
If they are good, then i will transfer the carbs parts.

I've seen those shafts with a rubber o-seal, but do think it would get worn very fast, as i do drive it a lot 🙂
Also found those shafts a bit to expensive (to test), found a guy here on the forum that can fit new bushes for a very good price.

Just bought 2 new usual shafts..

Hello Wim,

it is usually the shafts that wear, personally I wouldn't bother with bushes (unless the body is really bad) or extra rubber seals for as I said earlier, it affects idle and low speed running, once the throttle is open the percentage of leaked air is very small.

Alec

• 2 weeks later...