Stromberg Heat Shields

Stu 1986

I have some carb shields on mine...not 100% sure if they do really work but I know in the heat of the summer and when idling it can be erratic and I think these helped then. It definitely blocks the heat (a bit)

I have the standard metal fan fitted to my engine, a re cored radiator and a NOS heater matrix. The engine appears to run slightly hot, on the gauge it sits above the N mark but not near the H. The only thing I haven't replaced is the water pump which as far as I can tell works. I am concerned about the warmer weather though, if it comes. If she's hot in 8-12c temperatures, how will she be in 20+?

Quoted from Stu 1986
The engine appears to run slightly hot, on the gauge it sits above the N mark but not near the H.
I am concerned about the warmer weather though, if it comes. If she's hot in 8-12c temperatures, how will she be in 20+?

Quite possibly exactly in the same place! The temperature gauges on Triumphs are not especially accurate, and having the needle sit a little above the middle probably says more about the gauge than the engine temperature.

Quoted from Stu 1986
I have the standard metal fan fitted to my engine, a re cored radiator and a NOS heater matrix. The engine appears to run slightly hot, on the gauge it sits above the N mark but not near the H. The only thing I haven't replaced is the water pump which as far as I can tell works. I am concerned about the warmer weather though, if it comes. If she's hot in 8-12c temperatures, how will she be in 20+?

A quick point in relation to this info.

The temp gauges on cars are not calibrated. Just because it reads above the N mark is not really of much use to you, unless you have a history of it sitting consistently lower under similar conditions.

First thing in this case is pull the temp sensor out and stick in some water with a thermometer , ideally about 86C. And see then where the needle points. This will be roughly where you want the needle when running.

Aside from that, cheers for the link!! As it happens I am in need of some carb shields for my 2000, as whenever I stop for fuel etc I have big issues with fuel evaporation!!

Cheers,

Phil

Pretty much always sits where it's sat since I put the gauge in the car, but I did change the temp sender for a brand new one when trouble shooting a while back. I might pop the old one back in and see what it gives me. I intend on doing a full coolant flush and refresh when I hit about 500 miles, along with all the other fluids.

I'm glad some other folk out there suffer fuel evaporation issues, at least there are some people who understand my woes! LOL

Quoted from Stu 1986
Has anyone used these? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GT6-.....3:g:KrMAAOSwA4dWFkVF

I'm looking for something that will stop or reduce the fuel evaporation from happening. It's hard to look cool leaving the somewhere when you appear to stall.

Thanks,
Stu.

I have those fitted, and I added some of the stick on heat shield material on the underside.

This combo seems to work well.

Here is some of it I used on the MX5 to help protect the chassis rail etc from the heat coming off the turbo. I also seen it used in the Nissan R35 GTR GT3 race car engine bays.