My 1st ever Triumph (Mk2 2500Pi)

frenchiemk2

News...

Cylinder head sent to a regional pro. Check/controls, surfacing, replacement of guides and valves if needed

Leather caring (a bit dry but not cracky).

Genuine Motorola radio receiver (waiting for some Bluetooth upgrade or maybe just remote for bluetooth modified speakers).

Edited by frenchiemk2
  • Like 1

New guiides and valves will require to be reground to the seats.   This will remove any 'lead memory' and may make it prone to valve recession.    Americans mock us for our obsession with this - they had lead free long before us, and no probs, but it's a peace of mind thing.   Steel exhaust seats can be inserted, if you are having all that done won't add to the cost much.

John

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JohnD said:

New guiides and valves will require to be reground to the seats.   This will remove any 'lead memory' and may make it prone to valve recession.    Americans mock us for our obsession with this - they had lead free long before us, and no probs, but it's a peace of mind thing.   Steel exhaust seats can be inserted, if you are having all that done won't add to the cost much.

John

Yes, that's on the program of course, thanks

• 1 month later...
On 16/08/2021 at 19:48, frenchiemk2 said:

1 water hole filled with solid rust seal (reminder the reason why the head was disassembled : cylinder head gasket leak)... 🤔

If water ways in the head were blocked, I would suggest unscrewing the water drain tap at the rear of the block (manifold side), this area may well be blocked too and will only cause overheating issues if left. As the head and manifolds are off I would also recommend changing the 3 (?) core plugs that are in the side of the block again under the manifolds - easy to do now but a pain with everything in place.  You may be able to just get to the one or two at the gearbox end of the block too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, i'm back...

After 10 months the cylinder head  is back. 🙄

Time for questions : before reassembly :

- the head never had inner thin valve springs (specific to 1972/France?). so i suppose the thick ones in place don't need inner ones...

- head>block must i replace studs and nuts or can i reuse studs or nuts or both? + Haynes says 45 Pound-feet [lbft] (=  61,01 Newton-mètre [Nm]), 

Edited by frenchiemk2

I don't think the factory were entirely consistent on the use of double valve springs. If you've got the slightly stronger main valve springs then you don't want the inners. My Mk1 Vitesse (which the WSM says should have double springs) is like that and works fine.

Yours being a 2500 will have the beefier 7/16UNF head studs, for which 45lbft is a sensible torque. If there are no signs of thread damage or wear then you should be OK to reuse them. It's probably worth replacing the washers, though, as long as you can get the proper hard spec ones.

(Mk1 2L engines have thinner studs which are on the limit of their torque rating and need special super-hard nuts and washers. Those are often worth replacing every time the head comes off.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RobPearce said:

Yours being a 2500 will have the beefier 7/16UNF head studs, for which 45lbft is a sensible torque

The bigger studs/nuts actually have a higher torque specification.

TR6 factory manual (same engine near enough) states 80 lb/ft dry. That’s a bit higher than I remember… I thought it was 72lb/ft…

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

The bigger studs/nuts actually have a higher torque specification.

Indeed they do. I've checked the 2000/2500 saloon WSM and it specifies 60-75 for Mk2 models. Haynes gives 65-70 for Mk2 GT6.

This is probably towards the upper end of what a 7/16"UNF thread will take but well within what the stud can handle, so it's still OK to reuse if the threads are all good but give them a more careful examination.

• Like 1

Thanks for that Rob, those numbers look more like I remember. 60 - 75 is wide range though!

I’ve found that the studs and nuts both survive well, unlike the 3/8 UNF ones where the nuts are usually half dead. 

Just be sure to use the original washers. They are hardened so they don’t squash!

Nick

• Like 1

Just now i realize that i should have sent this header for heat coating at the same time as my Audi stuff... 😑

Had to order push rods to Chris Witor... 

Plus this new game is find the right place to those nuts, washers and studs...

Some seem fitting...

ok. The finish line is not near

20220825_185626.jpg

20220825_192407.jpg

20220825_190805_HDR.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Job sd going on, but some help needed

1. I don't find the values of the valve rocker clearance

2. Not sure about the fitting of the 2 hoses from heating radiator to head and pipe. (Picture)

3. Try to connect cables controlling the injection

Thanks

20220904_110541.jpg

Edited by frenchiemk2

1) Tappet clearance should be 0.010" (0.25mm) - the WSM hides it in the text rather than the dimensions and clearance page

2) I think those hoses look right

3) There is one choke cable that connects to the metering unit, to operate the cold enrichment, and the throttle cable to the lever arrangement on the inlet manifold.  It's a while since I had my PI but the WSM seems to hint at a second choke cable to operate a cold idle lever which looks similar to the throttle one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

1) Tappet clearance should be 0.010" (0.25mm) - the WSM hides it in the text rather than the dimensions and clearance page

2) I think those hoses look right

3) There is one choke cable that connects to the metering unit, to operate the cold enrichment, and the throttle cable to the lever arrangement on the inlet manifold.  It's a while since I had my PI but the WSM seems to hint at a second choke cable to operate a cold idle lever which looks similar to the throttle one.

Thanks Rob, I thought I could try to fire the engine this week end, but it takes time. and more than i thought because i'm not used to Triumphs. There's a lot in the Haynes, but not as formative than the ones for VW and Audis i have. The parts catalogue that i got from a french auto parts dealer is a mine of informations, and the link you gave me from Canley classics is quite good too. 😀