caliper piston removal

Steve P

Depends if they are stuck or not.  If not stuck you can easily blow them out with a foot pump (even a bicycle pump), just bodge up an adaptor. It helps if it has a one-way valve in it to assist with building up pressure.  The trick is to prevent them from coming all the way out until you have shifted all the pistons, and keeping a rag wrapped around it so you don't accidently launch any pistons.....

If I get stuck with a stubborn one I tend to attach them to the car and use the master cylinder to pump them off - ithat doesn't shift 'em you have a problem!

Nick

I did this job earlier in the year on Transit Mk1 four pots.  IIRC 3 pistons gave up without much struggle on each side but one was seized in each caliper.  Plenty of penetrating oil, clamp up the free ones (G clamps) and use an airline to force the akward ones out.

Careful - can be quite dangerous.

had varying success with airlines, they wont shift really difficult ones. Lots of penetrating oil over time (some took a month) and a master cylinder are the ultimate solution. Have heard of a grease gun being used, but don't see the advantage over a m/cyl.

Hello CH,

"Have heard of a grease gun being used, but don't see the advantage over a m/cyl."

I use a grease gun, handier if the caliper is off the car and on the bench and I suspect that there is more pressure from a grease gun.

Alec

Archived