tips for rear trunnion/lower pivot bolt removal

Dan16v

Does anyone have any tips or tricks in getting the rear trunnion/lower pivot bolt out the back of a mk1 GT6, its stuck solid by the looks of things

I have given  it a bit of heat and smacked the end of it with the old nut on, but its not budging and you cant get a socket on the other end of the bolt as the tie-bar mounting bracket is in the way of getting the socket on square

on the plus side, if its this sized, thats probably whats causing the car to sit a little lop sided!

cliftyhanger wrote:
Grinder with thin blade or decent hacksaw. Chop through the trunnions/bolt and it will knock out.

Cheers, looks like a swine to get a hacksaw in there, might be a good excuse to get the air-saw I have been wanting for a while

Its always tough to not cut into the surrounding VL or the hub

nang wrote:
I've done it with just a hacksaw blade with a bit of rag wrapped around it as a 'handle'. Still a bastard of a job though  :'(
Tony.

thats how the front wishbones came off...I was kind of hoping I wouldn't have to do it again on the back.

I have ordered myself some 1mm thick cutting discs for the angle grinder and will give that a go

nang wrote:
I've done it with just a hacksaw blade with a bit of rag wrapped around it as a 'handle'. Still a bastard of a job though  :'(
Tony.

One side done, I had to take the whole hub/shaft assembly off the car to get decent access with the hacksaw, it was all so sized up and rusted you could barely see where the actual metal cup from the end of the bush was, it doesn't look like the bearings have been greased in years either.