GT6 Trunionless Kit (Canleys)

john2502

Hi all.

Getting ahead of the game a bit here but thought it worthwhile asking.

Seen a couple of people have fitted the trunionless kit to GT6's and seeing as i'll be picking the GT6 up soon it's one of the first things I'd like to do for my own piece of mind (after seeing some of the "incidents" from poorly maintained vertical links/trunnions).

Does anyone have any advice on fitting these?
Is it worth renewing the shocks/springs/suspension bushes/bearings while doing this?
Was initially tempted by the uprated hub and stud kit at the same time but it's pretty expensive when you add it to the trunuionless kit as well!!
I also assume i'll need the hub puller tool (another £65!).
Saw someone had painted the vertical links, is this worth doing to help them last longer?

Apologies for all the questions but i am still a novice and after i give the car a decent service this'll be my first job on the car i think.

Cheers

John

Hub puller not needed for fronts - only rears.

No input to the other points as I haven't done this myself (yet) - however I would say that bushes are always worth changing, and poly ones are much better than the repro rubber ones out there - with regards to the shocks and the hubs - well I guess if it ain't broke then don't fix it - that said, I always hate bolting old bits to nice new shiny bits (which is where the cash-spiral begins).

Oh, and bearings - for the price they are, I'd replace to save yourself a job later - they are a wear item, so unless you KNOW that the current ones are new, there's a fair chance that they'll need doing soon.

Cool. Good news about not needing the puller.

Think I'll replace bearings and either poly bush or superflex at the same time

I want to put konis on at some point so am thinking maybe wait and do it all it once while its all apart.

Was tempted by just replacing the links but I like the fit and forget aspect (well I know they need a bit of WD40 but its closer to fit and forget) as I want to use it a lot so want as many aspects I can forget about or as close to.

I did this - trunnionless, new hubs and stub axles and blue polybush. Fit together very well - first set of stub axles needed machining as supplied bearings didn't fit but only other issue was the hubs needing machining as I have ventilated discs and they were not a direct swap. The uprated studs are a good idea and not too expensive. Easy to do whilst you are there! Especially if you are putting wider wheels on. The bushes make the front end feel less wooly but not harsh. I had Konis but have Spax now as the ride height was too high with the Konis I had.

7801 wrote:

I like the fit and forget aspect (well I know they need a bit of WD40 but its closer to fit and forget) as I want to use it a lot so want as many aspects I can forget about or as close to.

I too like the idea and was not knocking the product just pointing out the options  :)

I do have the Canleys adjustable top wishbones fitted and would probably go the whole hog if money was no object.

tiggrr1 wrote:

I too like the idea and was not knocking the product just pointing out the options  :)

I do have the Canleys adjustable top wishbones fitted and would probably go the whole hog if money was no object.

Go on...do it....just say its the wife`s birthday present............"ooh look what I`ve bought you"  

I am currently fiting a set to my old Gt6, the EFI car allready has a set.
Yes paint them the vertical links are unprotected forged steel my sets started surface rusting from just being handled, the spherical bearing carrier will be allright they are zink plated.
Yes fit new bushes while you are at it.
Yes fit new bearings.
Would not worry about hubs, originals are up to the job.

Laurence

Gt6s wrote:
I am currently fiting a set to my old Gt6, the EFI car allready has a set.
Yes paint them the vertical links are unprotected forged steel my sets started surface rusting from just being handled, the spherical bearing carrier will be allright they are zink plated.
Yes fit new bushes while you are at it.
Yes fit new bearings.
Would not worry about hubs, originals are up to the job.

Laurence

zink ? no ZINC.

And I used to work a zinc plating plant !

Nick_Jones wrote:
To clarify..... for a rotoflex car you will need a puller for the rear hub, but any decent 3-legged puller will suffice whereas the swing axles cars really need the special "flying saucer" one.

Nick

I always use this puller when stripping my rotoflex halfshafts, a bit more secure than a 3 legged puller and not very expensive to buy compared witrh the heavy duty puller required to break the taper on non rotoflex halfshafts.