Gearbox Main shafts

Encom

Now my gearbox / OD are almost, finally ready to put back together after spending months sourcing NOS parts etc. But one questions remain regarding the main shaft.

1. What is the actual difference between a normal main shaft and a heavy duty one?
2. How much of an issue is the tip of the main shaft, and what normally goes wrong?
3. Keep the brass bush in the input shaft or fit a needle roller?
4. Any disadvantages to having a needle roller over a bush?
5. Mk1 gearbox with D type OD, is this bush and/or needle roller the same as the MK2 box ie: P/N: 144782?

Help please! I really, really want to get my Vitesse back on the road.

IIRC the standard tip size on the 3 rail gearboxes is 1/2" or approx 13mm.  The single rail or "heavy duty" ones are more like 18mm.

This issue is that the tips and tip bearings wear out relatively quickly as they are really too small for the job.  This is worse on the bigger engined cars for obvious reasons.

AFAIK standard fit was always roller bearings in that location though some do prefer PB bushes.

I think the Mk1 2L and Mk2 are the same bearings wise.  The were some changes to gear helix angles and synchro sizes at some point but not necessarily at the change of Mk.

The larger mainshaft tip does definitely represent an improvement that will give longer service life.  To use it you will also need to bore out the input shaft to take the larger roller bearing, or use a single rail input shaft (with fine spline) from a later Dolly 1850 or TR7 4 speed.

Nick

As Nick said, the standard mainshaft tip bearing is decidedly marginal for a 2-litre and they fail. When they go, the bits of broken needle roller fly around inside the selector hub and jam it into third or fourth gear so that you have to limp the rest of the way home with only that gear available. Which is tricky for hill starts. It's worse on overdrive boxes where there's only one proper bearing holding the mainshaft relative to the casing.

Not much, but if it goes, then ye will find gaan into 4 th frae 3 rd will crunch, an gaan frae 4 th to 3 rd will crunch
as 2 shafts  no lined up.
if on an OD, then it will destroy the rear of that too,  not v nice to see it after wards.

Ive used a PB bush wid a scroll for oil to move about on a  worn
scored shaft re ground, the bush will give a bigger surface area to run on as compared to needles, as there a gap between the needles, there aint ona bush, and bush can be longer too, so moer surface area for a bearing surface.

Biggest culprit for wear is lack of oil or,and infrequent oil changes. going up a hill, ona low oil level, esp wid an OD, then all oil will gaa into OD, leaving  GB wid nee oil at al

M

Mick Papworth has the 18mm input shafts to suit the orig clutch after chasing the
1/2"shaft frequently giving up on the Vit6 I took my last rebuild up to Mike
Its still going as far as I know , as I sold sold her for the 2000 saloon

I have used a sleeve caged needle assy in a worn stem gear, but lubrication was then minimal
it needed the oil holes copying fo the cage sleeve and this would have wrecked the needles
cost effective but not reliable

Pete