Another noisy gearbox thread...

Spitfire2500

Fourth gear, and only fourth gear, has now got a bit noisy. It's worst when it's cold, and is not so noisy when the g/b is warm.

It seems to have stabilised and hasn't got any worse in last couple of months so I suspect it'll probably go on for ages yet -- ideally I would like it to last until I get the Saloon jacked up in the in-laws garage to attend to the bodywork  :D

Any ideas what it's likely to be?

Cheers,

AlanChatterton wrote:
4th gear is worn! Duh!

Ah -- so it's the gear itself rather than a pesky bearing?

There definitely plenty oil in there -- and the differential which, also, now has an exceptionally clean breather  :D I wasn't idle while it was up on the axle stands waiting for me to sort out the wheels and tyres  ;D

Cool bananas............yep, its the gear itself not the bearing me thinks.

To be honest, unless you're after spending loads of dosh, reconning these boxes just isn't worth it...........not when a good used one only costs about £75 second hand.!

I bit the bullet last year and bought a brand new unsed Stanpart Police Spec saloon box, Canley classics stripped and cleaned it, replaced a couple of seals and put one of their "special" J type overdrives on it. The result is wonderful, never had a quiet, slick gearbox before!!! Not so sure it was worth the £800 it cost me in the end...........but even so...........

AlanChatterton wrote:

To be honest, unless you're after spending loads of dosh, reconning these boxes just isn't worth it...........not when a good used one only costs about £75 second hand.!

I bit the bullet last year and bought a brand new unsed Stanpart Police Spec saloon box, Canley classics stripped and cleaned it, replaced a couple of seals and put one of their "special" J type overdrives on it. The result is wonderful, never had a quiet, slick gearbox before!!! Not so sure it was worth the £800 it cost me in the end...........but even so...........

My "best" box is in the one in the Taxi which is ex police -what were the main differences? stag internals ? i

AlanChatterton wrote:

My "best" box is in the one in the Taxi which is ex police -what were the main differences? stag internals ? i

As the cluster gear is not loaded when in top"gear" (direct drive) it could be chattering around a bit due to wear on countershaft, it's bushes, or end play.
Side load on the mainshaft bearings is little in top so movement here could be the cause.  Gearbox needs stripping and full check over but catastrophy is not imminent.

Jason wrote:
T'was full of spiders that box of yours Alan :-) I saw it when Dave was checking it over, looked nice in there apart form the ultra dirty tail end bearing (that got replaced). Always amaxing what NOS stuff still turns up :-)

Yeah, I heard. It was well worth while having DP check it over! I knew it needed doing as although it was new old stock, it had been stood on its end, with no rear cover on so I knew at least the rear bearing needed looking at.

It has got to go back though, its leaking oil from the box/overdrive joint.......... ho hum. Dave knows its coming back so we'll see what happens when he gets it open!

(probably a spiders leg caught in the seal!!)

Archived