Gearbox mainshaft circlip

Nick Jones

Getting fed up with this now.  Ready to re-assemble the gearbox, but keep falling at the first hurdle.  I've now tried 3 new circlips and all appear too baggy once fitted - really slack fit.  They start off the right diameter but stretch in the fitting process. The original was fairly snug fit.  I've been most careful not to over stretch them while fitting, just the bare minimum to get them started over the splines.  Also differ in thickness, both from the original (slightly thinner) and each other which makes getting the shimming right a bit trickier.

Right sod to get on and off too - my fingers are ruined...... any tips, hints suggestions?  Sources of decent circlips or alternative solutions?  Spiral rings have been suggested, just need to find a source....

Thanks

Nick

Hello Nick,

for that sort of hardware I would use an engineering supplier. Circlips normally don't streych until severely over stressed, and from memory the gearbox ones are quite substantial. Good circlip pliers make it much easier and don't cost a lot.

Alec

These are all from reputable Triumph suppliers.  They all come from the same manufacturer I guess.  They measure pretty much right to begin with (apart from previously mentioned thickness differences) but are not able to stretch enough to pass over the splines without significant, permanent deformation making them a very slack fit and liable to pop-off in service.  I don't consider them fit for purpose.

The original was somewhat injured in the removal process and then cut in half to check shimming (in vain as it turns out due to thickness variations and the new clips not being flat  :()  Live and learn.

No, I don't have Adam Chignells number.....  Yes, I am trying engineering suppliers for alternatives - trying to blag some spiral rings as samples as they won't sell me less than 500......

NOS would be nice...... if only!!

Nick

Archived