gearbox tunnel insulation ?

Fizzy

my mate is giving me a plastic tunnel cover. my current fibreboard one, of whatever it is, is insulated underneath with what looks like roof insulation in a plastic bag  ;D. are people putting any insulation on the plastic ones in the same place, and if so what ? im pretty sure my mates one is bare.

Possibly the original cardboard covers were better for both heat and sound insulation.
The original is still in my Spit 4 (albeit with some fibreglass re-building/strengthening) but I did not bother with the insulation pack or any other for of insulation on the underside.
Maybe it would be worthwhile.

I've got the same set up. Plastic bag full of something (can't tell what as it's all oily). I'm just about to put the cover back on and I'm going to use some stuff I got from Agrimach, sound and heat insulation. Will let you know if it makes any difference. £32 including some high temperature glue to stick it on...

When I replaced the old tunnel with a plastic one . I made my own from roof felt inside some thick plastick shet. cut to shape and stapled together. This was then glued to the inside of the tunnel. Mainly to stop transmision noise.
Works well.

my one is totally shot around the areas where you screw it in place, its just butted up against the bulkhead and theres no seal on it, so it gets a bit smelly in my car. my first thought was the stick on black mat type stuff, but me being me i want something cheaper. i assume those cylinder jackets are non flammable ? postage for them is a bit steep on ebay, i'll head down B&Q and have a look.

cheers

my mates one is off a mkIV, im just assuming it will fit fine in my mk3.

Hi,

attached you find a pic showing the insulation I used on my Spitfire and my Vitesse. Got it from ebay cheaply, but unfortunately I cannot remember the brand. Worked well on both cars. Make sure to get a good seal, that will make a lot of difference in terms of heat entering the cabin!

A MKIV tunnel will be fine on your MKIII.

Regards
Christian

yamaha_fizzy wrote:
my one is totally shot around the areas where you screw it in place, its just butted up against the bulkhead and theres no seal on it, so it gets a bit smelly in my car. my first thought was the stick on black mat type stuff, but me being me i want something cheaper. i assume those cylinder jackets are non flammable ? postage for them is a bit steep on ebay, i'll head down B&Q and have a look.

cheers

my mates one is off a mkIV, im just assuming it will fit fine in my mk3.

Twelve pound at B and Q................and I `v never seen one on fire ;D...(not B and Q)its only the same as loft insulation and they wouldn`t use that if it meant the house would burn down

does that mean you've seen a B&Q on fire ?  ??) cheers, problem solved i guess.

christian - is it all cut to odd shapes for a reason, or just using what you had wherever it fitted ? as for heat entering the cabin, id appreciate it if it did  ;D

Fizzy

I had initially used the stuff on a third cover for someone else's car. After finding out that I had so much left I just used it up for my own cars. The pieces got smaller and smaller. And in the end the covers looked like this!       ??)

Christian

When I first topped up the gearbox oil I was a bit rough with the cardboard tunnel and made a bit of a rip in it, that small hole now guarantees that on a long drive my left foot gets scorched. Which makes me think sealing holes is more important than the grade of insulation, as cardboard is pretty much all that's between me and the rest of the gearbox tunnel area.

well im getting the plastic one for free, the insulation on my current on is actually about 90% oil and gunge, and being a bit thinner the plastic one should make it easier to put the H frame in when it needs doing. also id have to reapair the back edge, and both side edges where it screws to the floor. its only screwed in through 1 hole on each side. bit of a no-brainer i reckon.

Archived