Convert 4.11 to 3.89 Diff

ahebron

Like most of us I have collection of various Triumph bits cluttering my workshop shelves.
Now I have started to work on my Vitesse I dug out several Dolomite/Toledo 3.89 diff heads and a couple of 4.11 Herald diffs of various description plus a Vitesse/GT6 3.89 diff head with a broken crown wheel.
Obviously the 3.89 Vit/GT6 unit can be rebuilt using the Dol/Tol 3.89 diffs but what is involved in converting the Herald 4.11 to 3.89 using the Dol/Tol units.
I am assuming that I would be best to use a 13/60 4.11 as a start with its bigger half shafts.
Engineers and machinists are not a problem to get work done.

Thanks
Adrian

The 13/60 diff has the smaller flanges but the larger splines. If you're rebuilding a Dolomite diff into a 13/60 rear casing, you'll re-use the 13/60 output stub shafts, and get the small flanges. If you fit a 3.89 diff from one of the other small chassis cars (Vitesse, GT6, Spitfire MkIV) it will have larger flanges.

• 3 months later...

I took my bins of complete Herald diffs and Toledo/Dolomite CWPs to my engineer and he built me up two complete 3.89, one 3.89 CWP nose piece and a  complete 4.11.
My 4.11 diffs needed to be machined to accept the 3.89 parts and we had a pile of parts for the scrap bin left over.
I am happy.

Adrian