Dogsbody47uk

Quoted from Don Cook
Do you have overdrive, assume that you have. If not you need a 3:27 for longer legs. I take it the Vitesse has the same arrangement as a GT6?

Hi Dave, I wouldnt worry about the internal strength of this diff and the ratio is correct (the Vit had the same diff regardless of OD or not) but I believe it'll only have 4 studs instead of the 6 of the original. This was to allow the use of a 'swing' leaf spring to counter the wheel tuck under problem exhibited by the earlier design however Im not sure what difference fewer studs makes........  

Quoted from Rallyspit
Are you using the Marina van cwp, John? The 4.85 (Atlas van and early herald) was made of pastry and not to be advised.

Early stages yet but I was going to have a word with Mike Papworth and see if it is possible to build a reasonably strong diff from standard parts. If the answer is no then I'll investigate having a custom cwp made.

The ratios of the GT6 three rail box are excellent but my car did bog down a bit in first and a shorter diff would solve that problem. However, the engine has been rebuilt to a different spec since the Coupe Florio so we'll see how it performs before taking any decision.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Thanks for all the comments. Yes it has overdrive. No it is not a 4 stud casing, it is 6 stud, as it should be, probably from an early mk iv spit before they went to swing spring ( I have swing spring in my 13/60 and it's a lot better than swing axle. It was an easy conversion to do, but fit the bigger anti roll bar!) From my previous ownership of Mk2 vitesses ( this is my third), the standard 3.89 diff is fine...once she's rolling. Once on the move the gear ratios are great and overdrive is the icing on the cake. Cheers, Dave.

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk
Thanks for all the comments. Yes it has overdrive. No it is not a 4 stud casing, it is 6 stud, as it should be, probably from an early mk iv spit before they went to swing spring ( I have swing spring in my 13/60 and it's a lot better than swing axle. It was an easy conversion to do, but fit the bigger anti roll bar!) From my previous ownership of Mk2 vitesses ( this is my third), the standard 3.89 diff is fine...once she's rolling. Once on the move the gear ratios are great and overdrive is the icing on the cake. Cheers, Dave.

Looks like someone must have swopped over the back casing of the diff to keep the 6 stud fixing. It would have been much easier to do than change the gears on the original unit!
I didnt understand your comment about being fine once she's on the move as my Vitesse with original diff could almost do without 1st gear and Im thinking of going to a 3.63 ratio (especially as there's no OD).
Cheers Graham

Quoted from glang

Looks like someone must have swopped over the back casing of the diff to keep the 6 stud fixing. It would have been much easier to do than change the gears on the original unit!
I didnt understand your comment about being fine once she's on the move as my Vitesse with original diff could almost do without 1st gear and Im thinking of going to a 3.63 ratio (especially as there's no OD).
Cheers Graham

You can set off in any gear on level ground in a Viteesse! Top is interesting but possible...I've done it, but what I mean't was that a Vitesse is very high geared in first ( 40 mph at 6000rpm) so she's a bit slow off the line for the 0 to 60 sprint, but she goes well once rolling! The close gear ratios are great for overtaking. Cheers, Dave.

Quoted from Dogsbody47uk

You can set off in any gear on level ground in a Viteesse! Top is interesting but possible...I've done it, but what I mean't was that a Vitesse is very high geared in first ( 40 mph at 6000rpm) so she's a bit slow off the line for the 0 to 60 sprint, but she goes well once rolling! The close gear ratios are great for overtaking. Cheers, Dave.

Ok looking at minty lamb then I think the 1600 vitesse gearbox ratios would suit you better giving 36mph @ 6000rpm in first (eek) while keeping   other gears the same.....