WIMPUS

Hi !

Some will have seen that i bought a spare diff for my spitfire last saturday.
I've checked and it is a 3.63.

Now i've got it home from my friend his garage, cleaned it a bit and got the old oil out (was very black).
I've seen that there was some silicone gasket sealant where the diff is bolted together.

Been thinking now of getting it apart to inspect it all & co.

But is there a guide how to get it apart ? Is it 'easy' or not ?  :P

Easy.
You need an Allen key (hex head) to undo the 4 cap head bolts holding each output flange in place. There is one position of the flange you can access each one, but once you see it is obvious.
Once both flanges are off, you undo the bolts holding the rear diff casing. Look after the bolts, they should all have tapered shafts I think.

Do not be tempted to play with the but holding the prop flange in place. Not at all.

Well i've been cleaning it a bit more this afternoon & evening..
But noticed they had it apart before, seems they used silicone sealant to get it oil tight.
Had 1 bolt out of the diff casing and there was sealant on it also..

Don't know what i'm going to do, maybe just leave it and paint it for now and will see whenever it put it under my spitfire  :)
Noticed i haven't got the correct size of hex head to get the output shafts off.

With what should i paint it ? Regular paint or heat resistant paint ?

Where is the diff number ? I've seen several numbers , also one stamped on the underside)
Is it worth to take it apart to fit a drain plug ?
And where can i find 'good' bushes for the diff ? maybe the best thing is polybush it ?

It doesn't fit there!  :P

It is worth modifying it now, while its easy to work on, and fit a drain plug. Will make oil changes a lot easier in the future. Plus then you can have a good look inside, and clean it all. You will then know what it is like inside, rather than waiting to fit it and then find a problem.
Do you still have some black paint that you painted the chassis? That will be ok for the diff also.

4058 wrote:
It doesn't fit there!  :P

It is worth modifying it now, while its easy to work on, and fit a drain plug. Will make oil changes a lot easier in the future. Plus then you can have a good look inside, and clean it all. You will then know what it is like inside, rather than waiting to fit it and then find a problem.
Do you still have some black paint that you painted the chassis? That will be ok for the diff also.

For te chassis i just used stone chip paint, bit still got high gloss paint also in the shed (my brother painted some brackets from the GT40 this evening with it  :P).

Just need to have a look for the correct size of hex head wrenches for the output flange bolts .
Do you maybe know where i can find them ? Been looking on ebay, but seems i can't find any   :-/

And when i drill  tap the  diff casing, should it be good enough with metric threads & then with a bolt + copper washer ?

Ken, how steipped is yours? I would use some degreaser, or parts cleaner.

If you don't have that, then some kerosene or diesel, petrol, but be careful using these.

I suppose at a push some very hot soapy water would work, but I doubt as well.

Got it open this morning !  ;D

Seems the output ones has had new bearings (made in japan... ).
There wasn't any gaskets there anymore, just silicone gasket sealant.
Everything seems to look as new !  ;D

Going to look where to drill now for the hole for the drain.
Should a M8 (8mm) hole be enough ?  :)

Thanks for the reply's , i can always drill it to M10 or M12..
But draining the oil from the diff isn't a monthly service job so it will do  :)

Also noticed that 1 bush was very cracked and the metal tube (where the bolts goes through) was loose in the bush  :-/
So what's the best thing to do, back to rubber or poly ones ?  :)

The bushings are not difficult to do, but they do have a steel sleeve. I used a 22mm socket and a large bolt through the other bushing and drove it out with a hefty hammer.
Replacing them is the reverse, though I used a large C-clamp. They went in about 3/4 of the way easily, but then started binding so I removed the clamp and tapped them in the rest of the way with a rubber mallet.