GT6 Mk1 Wiper Motor options

Jim A

Hi

I need to replace (it doesn't have one) my wiper motor on my GT6 Mk1.  The part no. is GXE7714.  I can get one of those, but would like to replace with a 2 speed motor.  

What are the options and where can I get one?  Lots look the same, I'm just not sure which one is compatible.  

Thanks Jim

Sweep angle is 130 degrees.

If it's just like for like then you'll have the switch and cabling already installed. It doesn't have the spade connectors on the end; there are three bullet-connected cables which emerge from the end plate, so that's an easy way to weed out the incorrect versions. 

The GT6 MK1 2 speed wiper motor is only fitted to GT6 MK1 and TR2 to TR5, They are available new without drive gear, but exchange only...so only other option is second hand, if you can find one,recently tried buying a second hand unit on ebay went for nearly a £100 and it needed a overhaul, or other option convert a later wiper motor to fit 😉 

Quoted from GT6DavidMK1-

The GT6 MK1 2 speed wiper motor is only fitted to GT6 MK1 and TR2 to TR5, They are available new without drive gear, but exchange only...so only other option is second hand, if you can find one,recently tried buying a second hand unit on ebay went for nearly a £100 and it needed a overhaul, or other option convert a later wiper motor to fit 😉 

The DR3 or DR3A are quite weak motors and are not that good at keeping the screen clear in heavy weather.

After years of suffering with my DR3 two speed on the TR4A I went for the TR6 14W motor.

The are seriously powerful, 2 speed, and will fit. 

If the GT6 drive cable is similar to the TR it then it is a straight swap.

You will need to knock up a new motor mounting. and the switch/cable needs sorting

The one big issue is the drive gear. They are all available but you need to calculate wha angle is required - it will be different to the standard.

On my TR4A the standard angle is 120' - I fitted a 95' for the same sweep.

Roger

Roger

Quoted from Hogie4A-

You will need to knock up a new motor mounting. and the switch/cable needs sorting

The one big issue is the drive gear. They are all available but you need to calculate wha angle is required - it will be different to the standard.

Technically then any motor will fit provided you knock up a mounting, convert the wiring and change the drive gear?

Quoted from Paudman-
Quoted from Hogie4A-

Technically then any motor will fit provided you knock up a mounting, convert the wiring and change the drive gear?

Colin, a tad unfair. The 14W motor was fitted to the later cars in the series, and certainly later spitfires and GT6 had that motor.  So it is "in keeping" and the switchgear is available, but may be a different style? Or no doubt a simple modification may be required. The mounting off a later car can be used (simple strap and rubber pad) Besides, those later wiper motors are rather good, way better than the earlier 2 speed types.And are actually available!

The swap would be akin to changing a dynamo to alternator. 

And technically no, most wiper motors couldn't be fitted. But you knew that.

Quoted from Paudman-
Quoted from Hogie4A-

Stuff it - sort out your own problems. Good bye.

Roger

Roger, I grant that the later type permanent magnet motors are more robust and require lower input current than the DR3 or 3A shunt wound field type on the earlier TRs. However, I found that new wheel boxes, a new rack and an overhaul of the motor to remove as much slop as possible, together with use of PIAA silicone wiper blades and occasional application of Rain-X gave acceptable results on my 4A.

Tim

Cannot understand why after Roger's most helpful reply, sarcasm is required.....life is fairly stressful at present, and someone taking time to answer another enthusiasts question is a decent thing to do.

Roger, within UK society there is always a section of idiots, look the front pages this morning. Most of us are good people.Sorry that you encountered silliness.

Colin, a tad unfair. The 14W motor was fitted to the later cars in the series, and certainly later spitfires and GT6 had that motor.  And technically no, most wiper motors couldn't be fitted. But you knew that.

Sorry Clive, didn't mean to be unfair, but the OP wanted a 2-speed MK1 motor and it is true that by changing the mounting, wiring and drive gear then you can fit almost any motor, and I'll modify the post to say 'almost'. Mini, MGB, Triumph, it just depends on how you want it to look. I don't think it was being unfair, or sarcastic, to point this out - fitting an alternative item, even one from another Triumph, can mean a lot of work to someone who may not be able to fabricate their own mount, adapt the loom, calculate angles, and source the correct drive gear from a selection. If the car is a Mk1 then it's not unfair to assume that it already has the loom connections, and switch for, the 2-speed, unless it's missing absolutely everything and has to be sourced from scratch. So: I was trying for the straightforward option, an original replacement that will require minimum work, and am still looking.

I'm sorry Roger took it this way; I was expecting a reply along the lines of: "well, it's not that difficult, this is what I did..." sort of thing. I didn't think it was being silly, or being an idiot. It's certainly not sarcastic, but a valid point, and one which I hoped would invite discussion and debate. 

Quoted from Paudman-

it is true that by changing the mounting, wiring and drive gear then you can fit almost any motor, and I'll modify the post to say 'almost'. Mini, MGB, Triumph,

The swap from a square DR3A to a round 14W is fairly simple. I would challenge you to come up with a way to fit a Dolomite wiper motor to a TR4 (or Spitfire) and tell me it's similar enough to justify your comment.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All

apologies, I raised the question and then disappeared. I thought I’d get notified of replies, but didn’t. Thanks for all the advice. 
I still plan to fit a square DR3 type motor which will be converted to 2 speed. 
What’s the difference between the DR3 and the DR3A? 

Thanks again. Jim