Alex

I need to fit new ujs to my heralds drive shafts and wondered if it matters which way round they go?
I've gone for the greaseable type so does the grease nipple face the wheel or the differential?...... Or does it make no difference?
Thanks
Alex

Alex wrote:
I can't even get the nipple into one of the ujs.... Didn't try the other although it looked a bit more likely .....
Do people use the long ones that come with the ujs or fit different ones for greasing?

Alex, did it  fit when you first got them and you screwed in before you fitted the UJ, to test being OK.......
(think)(think)?

Apart from once,I have never fitted these due to being fiddly ............and when I did fit once,they soon failed
I always stick to the British made UJs, without grease nipples, and they have always looked after me

The nipples won't fit when the suspension drops, it's one of the reasons you can't leave the nipples in place.

With the suspension level you will be able to fit the nipple, alternatively it can be fitted when the face of the joint points forward or backwards, though this gets fiddly.

In practice, I've rarely re-greased UJs once the assembly is on the car. The main benefit of the greasable joints is the ability to properly charge them with grease after their initial assembly, something which is practically impossible with sealed types.

Cheers,
Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Alex wrote:
Ok I've solved the problem.....
I'm an idiot :-(
I had another look today and realised there's actually nothing wrong.... Not sure why I couldn't do it the other day....
Thanks for the assistance though.
Alex

trust me it will not be the last time this happens to you :) sometimes you just got to walk away get a cuppa tea then come back in a different mood :)