Bainzy

What are the symptoms of these starting to go?

Got a very slight judder that's just developed when you take up drive (it only appears when taking up drive in 1st, very briefly at around halfway up the clutch travel, and in drive at heavy load - ie trying to pull in OD top at low revs). Trying to eliminate all possible sources, have checked the diff and it's full of oil, doesn't seem to be whining any more than usual. Going to inspect the engine mounts before I set off today, and have tightened up one of the exhaust hanging brackets under the diff that was a bit loose.

My guess is that the judder comes from the clutch, I had judders in first and reverse and they did not disappear when changing a seriously worn u-joint in the propshaft, new clutch however made them disappear completely. The main 'cue' I got from a worn u-joint was a noticeable clonk when taking up drive if not being easy on the clutch (the sound was transmitted through the prop though, I always thought it came from the box/clutch until it disappeared when changing the rear u-join)). Mine was so worn however that it was easy to get some play in the joint by grabbing the shaft and the rear flange and twisting them while lying under the car.

My U-joint...

Cheers

Starting to think it might be a lean spike - I hadn't been watching the AFR gauge when it was happening, so after no change in performance tonight, I pulled the choke out a bit once hot and watched the gauge to make sure it was rich - couldn't get it to reoccur...

• 3 weeks later...

Judder hasn't been too bad lately (though is still there), but I've noticed now that there's a rumbling / graunching sound that occurs off load when in drive - the more power you put through the drivetrain before lifting off, the louder it will be. Sounds like it's coming from the centre of the car.

The fact that it's there only when the slack isn't being taken up, leads me to think my propshaft UJ's are indeed on their way out...?

By the way, is there any merit in using the heavy duty freelander UJ's in the prop? I've never heard of prop UJs snapping from too much torque...