suspension set up

GazaGt6

hi,

i have recently purchased revolution wheels and like the old ones they tend to rub on the wheel arches when going over bumpy road, or braking firmly whilst turning the car. i have gaz adjustable shocks on the front , i am hoping that i just need to stiffen the suspension to stop it bouncing about so much on the road and therefore rubbing on the wheel arches, but im not very confident with adjusting the suspension as i have not really done it before do i need to take the springs off, before adjusting??

regards

Garry

I trimmed back the arches (I'm running 5.5J wires), and this has cured my problem. I'll probably stiffen up the front at some time, too (I have 330lb springs at the moment)

If your front arches have been replaced I think they have a wider lip flange than the originals, which adds to the problem.

Garry

A few questions before you start adjusting and taking springs out etc:-

What profile tyres are you running

Do you have shorter front springs than standard

What width are the rims

What rating are the springs

Does the shock have an adjustable ride height

What setting do you have the front shocks set to - however the shock setting should not really affect interference between the wheel and arch

sorry i couldn't respond quickly having problems with internet, but now fixed,

the profile of the tyres is 70, and im pretty sure that the springs are shorter, im sure there not standard as they appear to be just a few years old i would have a look to see if they were standard but the car is currently in the paintshop ready for a bonnet respray. if i remember rightly the fitted spring length is about 8 inches im guessing the spring rate is 200. The rims are 5.5j , i dont think the springs have adjustable ride height, i think they are to old for that, they seem to be as old as the springs 5 years or so, i would be able to give you a more precise age but i have no history or bills. the wheels are only catching a small section of the arches being about 2 inches long, the guy at west country triumph recommended cutting this section out?? not sure about that.

regards

Garry  

Archived