Revolution wheels fouling suspension mk3 spit

James1500

Hi all, I've had the revolutions fitted on my mk3 for a while now (still yet to venture onto the road) but upon turning the wheels they foul the top wishbones, and unfortunately I didn't notice soon enough, having knocked off all the balancing weights and taking a considerable amount of wheel with it. Having looked at the amount of shims on the lower wishbone I figured I'd take a couple out of each side (there were four on the driver's side and 3 on the passenger side), that seemed to improve things slightly but it's still fouling. I've got some cheap wheel spacers on for now so I don't do any more damage (3mm) but I need to figure out whats going wrong before the car's on the road, my initial diagnosis is an incorrect offset? they are 13 x5.5j with 175/70/13 tyres. Has anyone else experienced this?

thanks,

James

6J revs will not fit a mk3.

Are they new Revs, if new they will have conical wheel nuts, older types have sleeve nuts.

Best option is to fit spacers and bigger dia. studs-fit big saloon items and buy new wheel nuts. At least with these you can fit spacers safely.

I imagine the wheels are fouling on the end of the top wishbones?

I have recently heard that the Revs Rimmers are selling are ET25 on the 5.5".  This sounds like too much to me.  Wheels that work for Herald/Vitesse (my area of experience!) seem to be in the ET10 - 15 territory and I'd expect Spit/GT6 to be similar?

Where did the wheels come from James?  Do you know what the ET is?

Cheers

Nick

thanks for the replies, Sorry I haven't been able to post until now. I got the wheels from canleys (local to me) I raised the issue with Dave but he says no one's complained about the fitment on sets they've sold so far so I'm a little confused, If I could find a reasonable spacer thats not massively bigger than the hub (like the cheap ones from motor spares) it wouldn't be too bad, I bought the Stainless domed nuts for mine as I think mine are a later type, I'll try to get some pictures over the weekend :-/

658 wrote:
im having  same problem going to get some spacers to see if that cures problem

Summary of this thread seems to be that suppliers (two at least) are selling new Revs for Spit and GT6 at ET25 - which is too much and causes fouling on some cars - I know of someone else local to me who has the same problem with wheels just purchased from Rimmers.
As they were advertised specifically for Spitfire this seems wrong to me!

Anyone had any meaningful feedback from suppliers yet?  "Haven't had any other complaints yet" is a bit of a cop-out IMO.....

Nick

Offset/ET is an absolutely KEY part of the wheel specification (as I know to my recent cost!) and cannot be ignored.  For a supplier to describe a wheel as fitting a Spitfire resulting in issues like this is goods not fit for purpose.

The gent I know of locally says his wheels are marked both ET10 and ET25 with the ET10 crossed through.  They are actually ET 25 - which is a shame as ET10 would fit better!  ET25 would be better suited to Dolomites I think.

In general, the same casting will be used for a range of ET with the actual figure being set by machining the rear of the central boss.  Dependent on the wheel nut style used it may be possible to increase ET by a small amount by machining, but it can only be decreased with spacers.

Nick

Archived