Just a suggestion;

There was a breakdown of communication for the 2016 run which meant that AJ got a picture frame rather than a tankard. She was really looking forward to getting said tankard though and is unsure what she might do with a picture frame. I'm not sure how many of the women that take part actually want picture frames? Maybe AJ is the odd-one-out, but it seems maybe a little bit off to make assumptions on what someone wants based on gender. Therefore, I suggest on the entry forms you could add a little check box that says something like;

1) Main Entrant - Jon Fallowell. Souvenir selection; Tankard [ ] Picture Frame [ ] Other option? [ ]
2) Second Entrant - Alex Joslin. Souvenir selection;  Tankard [ ] Picture Frame [ ] Other option? [ ]
3) Third Entrant - Joe Bloggs. Souvenir selection;  Tankard [ ] Picture Frame [ ] Other option? [ ]

That way people just tick the box of what they want and organisers have a confirmed list too, everyone get's what they want, and the organisers have a hard copy of peoples selections.

Good idea Jon. I know Alex isn't alone - the last female co-driver in one of my RBRR teams would have preferred the tankard, too. Iris probably would go for the picture frame, though, as we've already got cupboards full of RBRR tankards taking up space she could otherwise fill with crockery

Or everyone gets a tankard unless they opt for whatever the alternative is (picture frame etc) - only these alternatives then need to be recorded.
Or as it is a 'souvenir' of completing the run why not everyone simply get a tankard - like getting a cup as an award.

Should save admin for Tim or whoever deals with it.

MUT

Do you all realise how difficult it is to co-ordinate all these Tankards.

Some women did get Tankards, and I can only apologise that Alex got a Tankard, but I do not remember getting a request. I have had to sort out over 250 Awards for the RBRR and so far only one mistake.

BTW, all (both sexes) used to get Tankards, but when I took over in 2004, many women asked for something else, hence the Picture Frame.

I will try and sort out a Tankard for Alex.

BTW Jon, thanks for the discreet nature of your complaint!

BTW, all RBRR organisers do this job in their spare time....in case any have forgotten. Therefore we are not about to start to make the organisational work anymore complicated, so we will carry on in the same vein. 1 complaint in 250 is not enough to make it necessary for wholesale changes.

As an organiser of the RBRR from 1966 to 2002 I can fully sympathise with Tim because there have always been entrants binding about their awards. The task of dealing with the sheer volume of boxes of tankards and other items is just mind boggling.
Perhaps one of those members making various suggestions might like to volunteer to join the organising team solely to deasl with the awards? No?
Derek Pollock

It wasn't a complaint. I was explaining the situation we found ourselves in, and a suggestion of how to avoid it in future.

Remember I do run events as well, maybe not to the same scale, but there were 60 people involved in last years summer treasure hunt and I do EVERYTHING apart from the catering, so it's not like I'm not used to having to deal with these things - however, if someone makes a suggestion which could improve the event I listen to it and take it on board if possible.

Essentially, yes, I am happy to do the organisation of the awards for RBRR, if we can make the paperwork side of it work - Living n Coventry would make it very difficult to share paperwork etc unless we're up to the point of online applications for the next event.