I'm getting very close to putting my name down for the reserve list (softening the missus up to the idea  ;) )

To all the Northern crews out there,

Is it best to drive down on thursday evening and stay overnight or do some of you hardy souls drive down in the morning and then head north again.

Does anyone know who travels the furthest to take part?.......................(Just looked at the list and suspect thats McJim & Theo)

I really think if you've got any distance to get to the start you need to travel down the night before and get some decent sleep so that you're starting fresh. It also means you can have a fairly relaxed day on the Friday before the start -- plenty of time to get ready and check things over etc.

That's certainly what I was planning to do until I had to call off. (About a six hour drive to the start from central Scotland I reckon.)

I couldn't bear the thought of starting a 48-hour drive round the UK already tired -- just not a good idea IMHO.

:) :) :) :)I've Taken the plunge and PM'd Tim Bancroft to put me on the reservre list :) :) :) :)

Should I hope put me in at No.3 reserve and therefore a good chance of seeing you all, even if it is at someone elses expense.......................

All I need to do now is trawl the bargain bins for some more shorts 8).............................someones got to give royboy66 a run for his money ;)

Martin and all the other P&P crews generally travel down on the day, keeps the cost down.

Pat Barber is also coming in from the USA to do the event, albeit without the Spittie.

Also of course Willi and Hans-Peter are travelling from Germany to take part.

Brilliant news that Steve Thompson is up for it, I know I have deserted the GT6 ranks this time, but they are still my fave Triumph!

:)Thanks for the Endorsment Tim :)

You say the GT6 ts still your favourite but I really like the look of your  8)grey monster 8) I was parked next to at Hatton.

Alex........I'll have you know that I wear the shorts in our house.........................when Louise lets me ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on what's happening re babysitters, we intend (hope) to travel down on the Thursday night and find somewhere within a 1-2 hour drive that's as cheap as poss to stay. My parents have unhelpfully moved! And there is no argument you need somewhere as close as poss to the Plough to stay on the Sunday night. Forget trying to drive home that evening. No way. I have booked Monday AND Tuesday off work to recover.

Pat Barber is coming from Michagan about 550 miles northwest of where I live.  That makes his trip longer.  My car is in Basingstoke and my crew lives in Calne.  I will arrive Heathrow on Wednesday.  Jason will pick and put me up the first night.  Thursday will pick up Dolly Roo and stay the night in Calne.  This will give me 2 days for jet lag and a good nights sleep Thursday night.  The crew and I will leave at their time choice for the Plough.  After the run will drop Jason off at his house then I will spend Sunday night again in Calne.   This will give us 4 to drive and stay awake on the drive home.   I will leave England on Tuesday after the run.   I assume the travel time from Calne to the Plough to be about 2hrs?  At least that is the plan  ??)

Archived