less than 100 days to go :))

• 1 month later...

thats not long.... GT6 is finished but hasnt been driven for more than 50 miles and the clutch is not disengaging properly when hot :(( Will try bleeding it at the weekend as the fluid is not a nice colour and hopes that helps....
Mike

Just been into my garage to do something non-car related when I noticed large pool of coolant under the Spitfire, seems to be coming from the water pump - another little job :-/ Still at least it happened now and not on the 10CR :)!

mpbarrett wrote:
thats not long.... GT6 is finished but hasnt been driven for more than 50 miles and the clutch is not disengaging properly when hot :(( Will try bleeding it at the weekend as the fluid is not a nice colour and hopes that helps....
Mike

Bugger, tried bleeding the clutch, pumped out all the old fluid (and cleaned the crud from the bottom of master cylinder reserve) of cause filled it full of air. Bleed it but cant  get it to work at all now! Connected up my Eezibled but forgot to check the cap was sealing and ended up covered the bulkhead in brake fluid and yes the paint is coming off.
Gave up went inside and opened a bottle of wine.......... will try again tonight.
mike

If its any consolation I thought I'd try to sort the slight exhaust leak on the manifold joint at the same time as removing the offending water pump - all I succeeded in doing was cracking the exhaust manifold whilst trying to extract a stripped stud ( vice too tight!) :-/

I now have a new water pump and good secondhand manifold courtesy of Geoff at Wins - fitting starts tomorrow ;D

mpbarrett wrote:

Bugger, tried bleeding the clutch, pumped out all the old fluid (and cleaned the crud from the bottom of master cylinder reserve) of cause filled it full of air. Bleed it but cant  get it to work at all now! Connected up my Eezibled but forgot to check the cap was sealing and ended up covered the bulkhead in brake fluid and yes the paint is coming off.
Gave up went inside and opened a bottle of wine.......... will try again tonight.
mike

Well that went well (not)!
Tried bleeding it and got lots of fluid out and some air. As soon as I closed the nipple the pedal goes down but the slave does not move (no more than 5mm). Stripped the master cylinder down and the piston has signs of rocking in the bore (shiny on opposite sides) and the main seal has a buildup of dark grey sludge. Looking at it through a lens its very fine ali dust, I guess from the bore walls!
I think what happened is that when I cleaned the crude out I have disturbed the seals, particulary the none return seal. When the pedal is pushed it leaks past the non return valve, when the bleed nipple is open then in no back pressure so the non return does not leak.
Could try a new set of seals but am worried that the bores are damaged so will try to get a new cylinder tomorrow and try again....
Mike

I think if the PI is to make the trip the engine needs a rebuild.

At the moment I think I am kidding myself 25psi at 2k rpm is good enough.

Almost 118k on the clock, 14k of that in the last 12 months so it has given good service.

So if it is to be the spitfire then i need to buy a new roll of gaffer tape to rebuild the hood.

:-)

Colin

I haven't used the estate since La Carrera, but it's going for MoT this afternoon as it expired 6 weeks ago. It's still running on the spare distributor, after the 25D mashed the bearing (and 2 rotor arms) in Scotland. That's currently with the Distrubutor Doctor being rebuilt.

The TR6 did a faultless holiday day trip to Cornwall 3 weeks ago (30mpg!!) - so I'm considering taking that instead.

Russell.

GT6_User_and_Abuser wrote:
My GT6, the usual daily runner and rallying car has failed its mot as its falling to bits. The chassis and bodywork is rotten through quite a bit in some places. Oh well, another resto!

doh!

RussellBanyard wrote:
I haven't used the estate since La Carrera, but it's going for MoT this afternoon as it expired 6 weeks ago..

Damn it failed  :-/

- NS Track Control Arm Worn - just ordered one
- NS Brake Light doesn't work when the lights are on - bit of bulb holder wiggling required methinks.
- Fuel leak. This is the most annoying. Fuel was pouring out of the rear carb overflow when I pulled up at the garage, so I guess the needle valve is stuck. It was still doing it when I got home - no fires thankfully  :o

Russell.

mpbarrett wrote:

Well that went well (not)!
Could try a new set of seals but am worried that the bores are damaged so will try to get a new cylinder tomorrow and try again....
Mike

Pickup a new master cylinder from TRGB (great having a supplier close'ish) at lunch time and just fitted it, bleed straight away and it all seems to be working agaon! Have to take it for a drive later and see what happens when it gets hot.
I am begining to notice a trend with the Gt6, anything that breaks has to be replaced with some new shiny bit and then the car seems happy again! Doesnt seem to have any consideration for my pocket.....
Just got to get its MOT done next week as it runs out when we are on the 10CR. Having it done early just in case they find something nasty..... Then there arethe new hoses to fit, sort out the temp gauge, oil change and check gearbox and diff, replace broken new radio, fit some extra lights inside....... and actually use it!

mike

Archived