What was the route for 2009?

Freebird

Hi all

I have done a couple of alpine routes in my vitesse over the last couple of years taking a week each time.

Stelvio in May 2008 only to find the pass closed when I got there and Aosta and both of the St Bernard passes this year. Both with my son Joe and both were fantastic holidays.

We fancy doing it again this year, taking in the Nurburgring perhaps and as many countries as we can without going mad and driving for too long each day.

Just wondering what the 10CR route was as it will help me plan mine.

Cheers

Glen.

Start at London
Calais, Auto route Abbeville, Rouen,Le Mans,La fleche,Bordeaux,Condom, Bagneres de Luchon, Andorra,Carcassonne, Narbonne,Beziers,Millau viaduct,Montrodat,Valence,Grenoble,Albertville, Beaufort,Petit gd St Bernard, Aosta, Gd St Bernard, Montreux,Yverdon,Neuchatel,la Chaux de fonds, Montbeliard,Luxembourg, Trier, Nurburg,Kelberg, salm,Arzfeld,Malmedy,Charneux,Kerkrade,Brussels, Dunkerque,Calais, london

remember every mile....

Sounds fantastic.

I don't want to be picky, but I can only see 9 countries in that lot.

1     France     Calais
                     Abbeville
          Rouen
          Le Mans
          La fleche
          Bordeaux
          Condom
          Bagneres de Luchon
2     Andorra     Andorra
     France     Carcassonne
          Narbonne
          Beziers
          Millau viaduct
          Montrodat
          Valence
          Grenoble
          Albertville
          Beaufort
3     Italy     Petit gd St Bernard
           Aosta
           Gd St Bernard
4     Switzerland      Montreux
          Yverdon
          Neuchatel
          la Chaux de fonds
     France      Montbeliard
5     Luxembourg     Luxembourg
6     Germany      Trier
           Nurburg
          Kelberg
           salm
          Arzfeld
7     Belgium     Malmedy
          Charneux
8     Holland     Kerkrade
          Brussels
     France      Dunkerque
          Calais
9     UK      london

Glen.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Warm feeling?

It was hot in Spain eh!

My nose got a little pink...... without the sunscreen we'd have been barbequed in Andorra.....

I think you need to be planning the "10 passes" Glen (not sure 10 is enough?) - all over 2000m.  We managed 3 in one day in Switzerland this year, Grimsel, Furka and Susten (no, not lost on the 10CR!).  The Italian side of the Petit St Bernard pass is very exciting in the dark and rain  ;D.  Some pretty fine roads in the Jura too.

Might need to do a "shed to the med" type jaunt in 2010 and take in some Alps as well.....

Nick

Check out my old articles in Club Torque called "The Italian Job" (March, May and July 2007 issues). Mike Helm, Andy Flexney and me did a jaunt taking in about 18 of the highest passes in the Alps - still gives me tingle when I think about it :)
Pretty leisurely driving each day, good hotels and fine food, stunning scenery and excellent company, driving open top Triumphs - what more could a body want? (well, apart from wanton debauchery of course)

I did what I called the "Italian Job" this year. The plan was to stay in Aosta where Micheal Caine and the crew stayed and find the tunnel where the Lambo came to grief.

I achieved the 1st objective, but not the second unless the tunnel looks different now. Many have been extended.

Glen.

What I can`t understand is , that the tipping of the Aston/ Jag etc into the ravine was on the Petit st Bernard but they say that the tunnel was `in` Aosta.
Some of the old roads have now been `clipped`. When they modernised the road up to the new tunnel entrance they chopped corners and old tunnels off to make it a faster road. After the tunnel entrance and on the old road is where the opening sequence is , however (being on that road since the sixties) the sequence does not make sense as it is a continual drive that is shown on the film, whereby it is the same road he goes up and then comes down(does not show him turning around!)  

If you look closely at the tunnel smash scene you will see he goes in the same end that he comes out of! When he goes in, the montain is to his left, when he comes out, it's still to his left.

PS, you have a very Italian name, but a list of very British cars, I'm intrigued.

Glen.

Archived