Well, it is 5000 miles currently!
You'd have to do a fair few main roads. With an unlimited budget, you could car-train about 2500miles of it. I did 2800miles in 6 1/2 days last time.

It is a breakdown risk though - that distance, they may well pay legal abandonment instead of ship it home. Also, a corruption and crime risk, especially for someone that speaks only English and French.

Driving in Turkey is "interesting" and Istanbul is a nut house - looks like a good idea!

The ferry from Italy to Greece got stopped a few years ago - my parents drove a car back from Cyprus via this route a few years ago but when they looked into again recently it wasn't possible. I think they've all stopped shooting at each other not so it might not be so bad :-)

I've done some work on retracing the World Cup route, went as far as Sophia so not a million miles off your route - might do that one day.

Jason wrote:
The ferry from Italy to Greece got stopped a few years ago

Apparently not.
Brindisi to Igoumenitsa - three companies all going strong. Crossing for a car and seat will set you back 130euro or so but turn up and go is fine, as can be haggling!

I got the regs for a classic ar rally once that covered pretty much that route - it was for the 17th to 27th September, 1997 and I still have the map on the wall of my garage ;)

Didn't enter the even tho ;D

Crossed Greece to Italy many years ago - we expected a small cross-channel ferry.  What we got was a WW2 D-Day Landing craft, one of the big ones that took tanks.  Beautifully white-painted, but an LC-T.
Like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tank_landing_craft
Scarey?
No, not when you're young.

John

I thought about this three or four years ago when our Greek friend, Nassos, invited CT to enter the Acropolis Classic Rally. There was a bit of discussion but it didn't get taken up. I thought about going it alone and setting my car on Asia's soil but was just going to go down Italy on one side, get the ferry to Igoumenitsa, quick blat to Istanbul and returning the way I came but going up the other side of Italy. That's about 3500-3750miles from Calais and back. Not sure if we could get car insurance for Turkey, Footman James wouldn't do it!

I love planning trips, funnily enough I spent a fair bit of this morning planning a trip from the Baltic to the Adriatic, I've driven most of it but not in one go.

I have cancelled a replacement knee operation this summer so that I wouldn't miss the 10CR!! Now, that's keen.

I was looking into driving to Cyprus with a friend who was posted there in the RAF, couldnt enter through turkey only from greece. I got an email from a company that used to do roro there from greece, it doesnt happen anymore, something to do with insurance, terrorism and the boats continuing to israel. Be a good laugh tho if possible

I have driven most of your route driving to and from Bulgaria in the last three years. Last year I drove home from Bulgaria black sea coast to the UK via Italy by myself  in a very fully loaded 4WD in three days.

Great trip but will make a few comments about your route.

Going south to Italy is fine with plenty of ferry alternatives available to NW Greece. The new road across the north of Greece to Bulgaria is good but go via Sofia and not turkey since the border crossing is a pain in the backside.

Coming back, avoid Romania at all costs, but cannot comment on Serbia. Some people report that its fine and others write about having guns pointed at them at customs posts - however the roads appear to be good so assuming you aren't shot or arrested it should be an easy trip.

PM me if you want any more info

Howard

Cheers for that - I actually wanted to see Turkey so I guess I'll just have to queue. Has ayone ever tried getting Peter James to extend their insurance to Turkey?
Seems a shame to avoid Romania, especially the Transfăgărăşan. Is it really that bad there?

For Turkey you may have to purchase insurance through the fence at the border - at least that is what my friends did when they drove to Bulgaria via Greece. It just takes time and frustration.

As for Romania, I spend my time living in countries where driving is diabolical - Cairo Egypt and Manila, Philippines are two of the more notable places so am quite used to dangerous roads, but the one drive I made through Romania left me seriously scared for my life. The road from the Hungarian border to the capital is about the standard of a poor country lane in many places with ruts, heavy lorries and at one point I had three 4WD's trying to overtake me at the same time. The father of some people I met in Bulgaria had been run over and killed in a car park there a few days before.

Also road signs were lacking and the sat nav data base covering the country was useless (It was great up to the Hungarian border & on the 10CR). I know other people do not mind driving through the country, but its not safe in my opinion.

Cheers

Howard

Howard wrote:

As for Romania, I spend my time living in countries where driving is diabolical - Cairo Egypt and Manila, Philippines are two of the more notable places so am quite used to dangerous roads, but the one drive I made through Romania left me seriously scared for my life. The road from the Hungarian border to the capital is about the standard of a poor country lane in many places with ruts, heavy lorries and at one point I had three 4WD's trying to overtake me at the same time. The father of some people I met in Bulgaria had been run over and killed in a car park there a few days before.

Also road signs were lacking and the sat nav data base covering the country was useless (It was great up to the Hungarian border & on the 10CR). I know other people do not mind driving through the country, but its not safe in my opinion.

Cheers

Howard

When I organised the first 10CR itwas all about adventure but not about taking unnecessary risks - in fact I came up with the following phrase for the 2005 event "To the extreme in sensible shoes"

I think I would heed Howard's advice on that score personally.

Done some digging on the travel forums.
Romania is OK but don't expect fast smooth roads! Bulgaria still has border corruption but it isn't too expensive.

The problem seems to be Turkey - I am not insured there. Has anyone managed to get their broker to extend cover there?
On the forums, most of the people that had tried said it was difficult (but then the successful ones wouldn't be checking the forums for help!)
The breakdown companies will cover Turkey North of the Bosphorus but my cover comes with my insurance and it seems a little silly (and can void t&qs) to be covered twice. Also, all bar Brittania rescue have a 15year (or thereabouts) vehicle age rule.

1045 wrote:
Done some digging on the travel forums.
Romania is OK but don't expect fast smooth roads! Bulgaria still has border corruption but it isn't too expensive.

The problem seems to be Turkey - I am not insured there. Has anyone managed to get their broker to extend cover there?
On the forums, most of the people that had tried said it was difficult (but then the successful ones wouldn't be checking the forums for help!)

Clearly many people make it through Romania successfully, but it is a long trip (one whole day) & IMHO not safe, but you have to make up your own mind.

For Turkey you can purchase insurance at the border - it will involve handing over cash to runners who will get you the necessary paperwork, but my friends managed that along with their caravan without any major problems aside from time.

Howard wrote:

For Turkey you can purchase insurance at the border - it will involve handing over cash to runners who will get you the necessary paperwork, but my friends managed that along with their caravan without any major problems aside from time.

Only third party though?

1045 wrote:

Only third party though?

I read recently that most cover in Europe is only the basic legal minimum for the country you are in - so probably third party is all we are covered for most of the time....

The Turks do a thing called "Traffic Insurance" and it's a very basic (very!) Third Party cover - it does not cover you for much, the limits are pretty low and so most Turks who have Traffic insurance "top up" with "Motor Insurance", often from a different insurer and with varying degrees of cover/limits. This kicks in after the Traffic policy is exceeded, ie most of the time - confusing, most certainly.
However, your main issue in Turkey, especially rural turkey, is that the baksheesh (bride) for the Police is less than the policy costs - so no one bothers! It's something of a problem in Turkey, at least most have Traffic cover in the big cities.

Howard wrote:

I read recently that most cover in Europe is only the basic legal minimum for the country you are in - so probably third party is all we are covered for most of the time....

You can extend that, for a fee, under most policies. Some of the better ones include such things for free, the cheaper ones will rinse you for it :-)

Jason wrote:

You can extend that, for a fee, under most policies. Some of the better ones include such things for free, the cheaper ones will rinse you for it :-)

Yeah, that is what they are legally obliged to offer, but only for the EU. Turkey is not EU!

Our classic policies (minie included) usually extend our UK cover to the EU.  

• 1 month later...

Well, I set out for France ...... and made Dover.
God bless the AA, because a chearful gentleman covered himself in fluid at 5 in the morning but to no avail.

I was the most prepared I have ever been and the clutch went!

The plate fractured and a spring flew out the side.

So, couldn't find a new clutch on a Sunday - with any luck I will be back on the road tomorrow.

So the best part of £100 poorer (cheers Quillers!), I will be sorted soon - still cheerful!

Archived