Yahoo, what a great day!  

Results as follows :-

1st CT Tim Bancroft GT6        (3rd in class)      410.9s
2nd CT Mike Bishop Herald    (6th in class)      436.9s
3rd CT Mike Helm Spitfire      (7th in class)      438.6s
4th CT Clive Senior Toledo     (9th in class)     461.7s
5th CT Katie Foreman Herald      (DNF)

Katie sadly missed the last test as she had to go to work :-(

Yep, wooden spoon for me today. Bit of a change from last week, need to have a think :B
But that aside, a superb day, Sevenoaks MC organised the weather better than CT too 8) However the great mystery, who broke Mikes lunch box. I mean, there was pasta everywhere. (and wasps, nasty stinging wasps. ouch)

And prize of the day for dedication has to go to Mike Helm, who had a chassis/wishbone mount weld break on his first run in Test 1.  Undaunted, he headed home, welded it up, had a cuppa and a bacon sarnie then came back in time to do Test 2!  (dizzy)

Come on Mike,

The event positions were:

1st CT Tim Bancroft GT6        (2rd in class)      410.9s
2nd CT Mike Bishop Herald    (5th in class)      436.9s
3rd CT Mike Helm Spitfire      (6th in class)      438.6s
4th CT Clive Senior Toledo     (8th in class)     461.7s

That was my last A'solo for the year.

I think to get better next year, I need a 3.89 LSD and better brakes, and oh yes more skill!  Mr Helm is killing me!

I still think the idael car would be a round tail Spitfire with a revvy 1300cc lump, lowered cv/roto suspension, nice and light.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Come on Mike,

2nd CT Mike Bishop Herald    (5th in class)      436.9s
3rd CT Mike Helm Spitfire      (6th in class)      438.6s
4th CT Clive Senior Toledo     (8th in class)     461.7s

That was my last A'solo for the year.

I think to get better next year, I need a 3.89 LSD and better brakes, and oh yes more skill!  Mr Helm is killing me!

I still think the idael car would be a round tail Spitfire with a revvy 1300cc lump, lowered cv/roto suspension, nice and light.

yes 1300 engine regards michael ps then watch out!

timbancroft61 wrote:

I still think the ideal car would be a round tail Spitfire with a revvy 1300cc lump, lowered cv/roto suspension, nice and light.

Is that your revenge for me calling you a miserable old git last week??

I know I wasn't very fast, I was trying to preserve my tyres. Honest!

And I almost whooped Mr Bishops a*se despite him having a better car. I don't see him boasting about beating an amateur by a fifth of a second!!!  ;D

It was that lack of roto/cv suspension that did for me. that's what it was.

:P

Colin

p.s. good result, bit more practise and you will give Mr Helm a run for his money every time, he's been doing a lot of autosolo type stuff lately. Get your comp license and collar Ellis and give the Cloverleaf or Regis a go.

timbancroft61 wrote:
Come on Mike,

I was taking into account the Sprite sprint car (No.7) also in our class, which whipped all our arses on pretty much every run and was technically No.1 with fastest time for the day!

That Sprite is a nice car, but with its Zetec lump, type 9 box and fabricated rare suspension, not really a 'Historic' car.

As for Mr Helm, I have done as many A'solos as him, so I should have the measure of him. Some tests I can beat him, but in general he is a faster driver than me. I need to think more about what I am doing. I generally find that I am as fast as I will be on my first test, I might find a sec. but that is it. Mike gets quicker as the day progresses.

I am sure that Mike Bishop and Clive would do as well as me in my car.

Yesterday was enjoyable, interesting in that the cones were not numbered, therefore had to use the memory. I prefer the Oxford Motor Club type of event with numbered cones and all entrants marshalling(We based our CT event last week on that model), it's better as it is more about driving than memory testing.

I suppose the next step up from this Autosolo'ing is to tackle Sprinting, a few safety mods would be needed though. Still might have a go, maybe join the TR Reg. series, although they include Hillclimbing in their series.

timbancroft61 wrote:
That Sprite is a nice car, but with its Zetec lump, type 9 box and fabricated rare suspension, not really a 'Historic' car.

As for Mr Helm, I have done as many A'solos as him, so I should have the measure of him. Some tests I can beat him, but in general he is a faster driver than me. I need to think more about what I am doing. I generally find that I am as fast as I will be on my first test, I might find a sec. but that is it. Mike gets quicker as the day progresses.

I am sure that Mike Bishop and Clive would do as well as me in my car.

Yesterday was enjoyable, interesting in that the cones were not numbered, therefore had to use the memory. I prefer the Oxford Motor Club type of event with numbered cones and all entrants marshalling(We based our CT event last week on that model), it's better as it is more about driving than memory testing.

I suppose the next step up from this Autosolo'ing is to tackle Sprinting, a few safety mods would be needed though. Still might have a go, maybe join the TR Reg. series, although they include Hillclimbing in their series.

Hell, no numbers on the cones...That leaves me out!!!
Now sprints and hillclimbs, that brings back memories, the Vitesse days, Bardal and Duckhams series '77 to '79, I even have photo's of me and the Vitesse hard out tackling the great hills of Auckland....

timbancroft61 wrote:

Soon! :)

I can't say I used the numbers on the cones... just look at which way the cones are pointing on the ground...

The numbers fly by far too quickly!

timbancroft61 wrote:

I thought you said 1500's would be the best?

Torque is nice, but I think the fear of over-revving would be the problem. One does not get time to look at the rev counter, I suppose a rev limiter could be used?

Just remembered that Oxford MC will possibly runa A'solo in September, might have to enter if it does not clash with the 10CR.

for some good pics of autosolo go to   zoomworksphtography.com   click on gallery then on pic of said autosolo for full gallery ...all the other triumphs look stationary compared to a herald on three wheels [or is that better supension]  also a good pic of an mg with a front wheel off the floor

Archived