Master cylinder overhaul

molten

Hello
I stripped the MC piston assembly out this morning ready to install new MC repair seals kits. When I removed the piston, there was a lot of rust coloured sludge (no doubt rust contaminated brake fluid). So I left soaking in some clean DOT4 fluid to clean off. When cleaned off the spring, thimble etc all "appear" to be ok to re-use but......
As the rust must have come off the parts - will they rust again in new fluid?
As it will be a while before i fill the system, will they simply rust again until fluid id put in the MS?
Having said that, no real reason why it cannot be filled now after checking all unions for tight fit!

Would you re-use the old parts or get new?

Scott

If no breakages the `operating parts` , are OK to reuse as the most important parts to replace are the seals
Just fit new seals
The sludge you mentioned can be from the part of the cylinder that sees no movement of parts eg the seals only move part of the length of the operation , so c..p and muck and bullets congregate in th end

Try compressing the spring to ensure that there aren't any areas where it's work-hardened. The spring can look fine, but with a section that doesn't compress. Failure mode will be brakes progressively locking on, not good. This usually happens where the pedal return spring has been broken, so the master cylinder spring has been worked harder in supporting the pedal,

Cheers,
Bill.

Checked that Bill and all sems fine

Bill
Could I trouble you for some pointers on bulkhead grommets?
As seen in the other thread, I am struggling to identify what comes through the bulkhead via which gri#ommet and where??
My spit was missing most of this when I got it so have nothing to reference.
Could you (or anyone) help?

Thanks
Scott

2597 wrote:

As seen in the other thread, I am struggling to identify what comes through the bulkhead via which gri#ommet and where??

Lots of variation depending on year, with some blanks needed for equipment which wasn't installed for the UK market.
If you can take a couple of pictures of your bulkhead and post them here, I'll annotate them with what goes where,

Cheers,
Bill.

Hi Bill
I have attached a couple of pics.
I got the wiper motor stuff sorted but the three holes left of where the heater bolts to (2 above and 1 below) I presume to be
1) choke cable
2) heater cable
3) washer fluid pipe
Am I correct here?

The 2 holes on the level deck in front of them I think may be blanks.

On the (pic 274) photo, there is a hole on left of battery tray???
Also, above the chassis rails (on the bulkhead) on both sides there is a hole approx 30mm just before the panel returns to g/box opening (elongated oval on the right is the main harness i know.

Thanks for this bill

Cheers
Scott
I have 2 blind nuts where I think a electric washer pump will go.

Scott I think you'll find the hole where your middle finger is,is where the original brake pipe retaining clip would have been.
The slotted thing is a rubber flap with a thicker piece at the top to slot into the groove......anyone got one as I need one  :(

The 2 small holes are for the washer pump.

Looking good mate!
Alex

Alex wrote:

The slotted thing is a rubber flap with a thicker piece at the top to slot into the groove......anyone got one as I need one  :(

These were fitted to Stags too, so try the usual Stag breakers, Martin Dimmick, Les, etc etc

mike

Hi Alex
Fortunately I kept hold of mine.

Does anyone hace any tips to fit the new gaitor rubber over the master cyl?

Just cannot seem to get it to fit with MC etc in in place. There must be a knack to it. Will try softening the new PVC in hot water but this is a pain. Maybe rubber ones are easier??
Cheers
scott

2597 wrote:
Does anyone hace any tips to fit the new gaitor rubber over the master cyl?

I use Autoglym's Vinyl & Rubber care product as a lubricant for this kind of thing. I've never needed it for this particular job though, there's more than one manufacturer of gaiters which may have a bearing on the ease of fitting. Equally, who made the end cover for the master cylinder is also a factor.

I'm just annotating a couple of images, to follow.....

Cheers,
Bill.

I'm not 100% sure about this one, I 'think' it's the location of the electric washer pump for markets which were using one at that time. The car I'm working on has the same holes which are redundant.

Meanwhile, the two on the front face of the LH bulkhead both take blanking plugs in the home market. That lower plug is useful as a location to bring though a capillary tube when fitting a (non-original) oil pressure gauge,

Cheers,
Bill.

heraldcoupe wrote:
That lower plug is useful as a location to bring though a capillary tube when fitting a (non-original) oil pressure gauge,

Cheers,
Bill.

Cheers Bill
This comment may prove very usefull as I recently cracked my new dash where the indicator light goes to the upper right of the steering wheel. If when fitted the bezel doesnt hide it then I will be opening up and fitting oil presure guage here.

As usual Bill - many thanks
Scott

Archived