MGF Wheels Fouling on Arches

JP

Hi All,

I've just dropped my front end on my car and the MGF wheels I have are fouling on bulkhead front quarters etc..

Has any one else had this issue?  I'm think some smaller tyres might solve it or do I need to raise the car a bit?  It is currently running 185/55/15's  was thinking of maybe going for some 185/45's or 165/50's if they'll stretch onto the 6j wheels.

I love the new stance and the way the wheels fill the arches so would like to keep it as close to this look as poss..

Only problem I had was the rear of the inner front wheel arch catching the tyre on full lock, easily remedied by tweaking inner arch.
I do sometimes get the tyre rubbing the offside wheel arch when hitting a bump mid corner, when pushing on a bit, although my GT6 does list over to that side a little, I think with a little negative camber and levelled out it should not be a problem. Mine is also lowered front and back. I will probably go for 175/55/15 soon as I think it is a little overtyred for my liking and does tend to tramline a little. It is possible to fit 205/50/15's on the rear (rotoflex) I do get a slight rub on the shock and mount but I think the listing has something to do with that as it also happens on just the offside.

Cheers for the reponses I'm running 205/50/15 on the rear and they seem fine. I just spoke to a local tyre place and they suggest 165/50/15 tyres which should give me an extra 2cm diameter so extend the gap by 1cm which should cover it... either that or get the big hammer and make some room :-)

Not sure 175/55 will be enough with how much it is rubbing atm I'm assuming its because it's so bloomin low :)

I guess mine must be lower than yours spider looking looking at how much mine fill the hole.  

I'll try and get some pics with the bonnet up so you can see how close it is.

JP wrote:
Not sure 175/55 will be enough with how much it is rubbing atm I'm assuming its because it's so bloomin low :)

I guess mine must be lower than yours spider looking looking at how much mine fill the hole.  

I'll try and get some pics with the bonnet up so you can see how close it is.

Don't forget than not all tyres are the same. Their profiles can be different enough for one brand of 175's to be fine but another may just touch. And no two car bodies are bolted on the same either!

185/55/15 front 205/50/15 rear

1500 long drive shafts fitted, rears bolted straght on but v.close to wheel arch.
Fronts i had to roll the bonnet arch lips, trim the inner arches and bend the body tub a little to stop fouling on lock (480lbs springs and fully height adj shocks)

nang wrote:
Thinking seriously of fitting MGF rims.
Are the standard 3/8" wheelnuts used or something else. Don't want the drama of changing wheel studs etc.
Thanks
Tony.

I wouldn't dream of using 3/8th studs with 15 inch wheels!  You can change them for Land rover freelander m12 studs.

Yeah sorry should have mentioned the M12 studs and MGF nuts ARE needed.

You could also use 7/16 Triumph saloon studs too but the correct nuts to suit the mgf alloy wheels would be expensive/hard to locate

Landrover freelander studs M12 x 1.5 pt no: CLP9037L....do you have Freelander and MGF in N/Z?....second hand MGF nuts?......not as expensive as you think Tony , i did mine for 20 quid new studs and s/h nuts 10 quid.

Looking at the old 3/8 studs that came out i am glad i changed them anyway, metal fatigue/rust had hold of most of them and god knows how old they were  :o

uksnatcher wrote:
Yeah sorry should have mentioned the M12 studs and MGF nuts ARE needed.

You could also use 7/16 Triumph saloon studs too but the correct nuts to suit the mgf alloy wheels would be expensive/hard to locate

Landrover freelander studs M12 x 1.5 pt no: CLP9037L....do you have Freelander and MGF in N/Z?....second hand MGF nuts?......not as expensive as you think Tony , i did mine for 20 quid new studs and s/h nuts 10 quid.

Looking at the old 3/8 studs that came out i am glad i changed them anyway, metal fatigue/rust had hold of most of them and god knows how old they were  :o

You're probably right. Plenty of MGF's over here and quite a few dead one's too. Might quietly collect some bits and see how I go.
Tony.

6155 wrote:
hi do you need to use such a wide tyre if you use mgf alloys

No you could use 175/60 or 165/65 or 155/60 in 15", and good for a 6J width wheel (MGF wheels are 6J width) and also in keeping with the diameter of standard  155/80 13" tyres thus keeping the speedo acurate.

I used the standard size tyres that come with an MGF and they happened to fit (just.. :o) but if width is an issue you could try and locate the above sized tyres  :)

When speedometer reads  70 mph your actual speed is listed below.  

Possible new tyre size, within the current & new tyre size range, within + or - 2.5%

Tyre Size   Diameter  Circumference  Difference  Speedo  Fits Wheel Rim
----------  --------  -------------  ----------  ------  --------------
175/70 R13  576 mm    1810 mm        -0.33 %     69.77   5x13 to 6.5x13
185/70 R13  590 mm    1854 mm         2.09 %     71.46   5x13 to 6.5x13
155/80 R13  578 mm    1816 mm         0.00 %     70.00   4.5x13 to 6x13
175/60 R14  566 mm    1778 mm        -2.09 %     68.54   5x14 to 6.5x14
185/60 R14  578 mm    1816 mm         0.00 %     70.00   5x14 to 6.5x14
165/65 R14  570 mm    1791 mm        -1.38 %     69.04   4.5x14 to 6x14
175/65 R14  584 mm    1835 mm         1.05 %     70.73   5x14 to 6.5x14
155/70 R14  572 mm    1797 mm        -1.05 %     69.27   4.5x14 to 6x14
165/70 R14  586 mm    1841 mm         1.38 %     70.96   4.5x14 to 6x14
175/55 R15  574 mm    1803 mm        -0.72 %     69.50   5x15 to 6.5x15
185/55 R15  584 mm    1835 mm         1.05 %     70.73   5x15 to 6.5x15
155/60 R15  568 mm    1784 mm        -1.76 %     68.77   4.5x15 to 6x15
175/60 R15  592 mm    1860 mm         2.42 %     71.70   5x15 to 6.5x15

Handy tool to keep in your 'favourites' list:
http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

I'm planning on fitting a pair of 165/50/15 on the front when I return from my holibobs as that should give me the space I need.

As for the wheels studs when I fitted the wheels originally prior to lowering I didn't think to change the studs and was very lucky as 3 studs snapped on one of the rear wheels after flying round some country lanes! I managed to ram the brakes on just in time when I heard a loud knocking from the rear... RAC man who recovered me pointed out it was lucky it was him picking me up and not a ambulance !  All M12'd up now :)  

Well, finally decided to go ahead, found some wheelnuts locally ( for  $1 each) and have ordered some 12mm studs from UK.
Now looking at wheels. Found some reasonably priced ($50 each) 6 spoke one's which I prefer but told by the man who's trying to sell them that the 5 spoke VVC ones are a better fit on a Spitfire. I don't understand why this should be. Is he just trying to sell me the dearer ones ?
Thanks Tony.

nang wrote:
Well, finally decided to go ahead, found some wheelnuts locally ( for  $1 each) and have ordered some 12mm studs from UK.
Now looking at wheels. Found some reasonably priced ($50 each) 6 spoke one's which I prefer but told by the man who's trying to sell them that the 5 spoke VVC ones are a better fit on a Spitfire. I don't understand why this should be. Is he just trying to sell me the dearer ones ?
Thanks Tony.

Hi tony, here is my car with the 5 spoke and 6 spoke, the seller is talking to fill his pockets, make your own choice...... the 6 spoke are much nicer in my opinion (thats why i sold the 5 spokes i thought they were too modern looking and fitted the less 'in your face' 6 spokes)

Have a look here  at all the MGF wheel options:
http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspension/wheel_options_for_the_mgf.htm

• 5 months later...

I meant to update this ages ago but never got round to uploading the pics from my phone...

Here is the orig you can see how they foul the bulkhead

and front valance

and with the lovely Bridgestone Potenza 165/50/15

Plenty of room around the arch now and I'm quite liking the stretched to fit the rim look except when you drop the wheels on the floor and they rattle around on the rim :ouch:

I finished up using 6 spoke rims and 185x55x15's all round. For some reason I had to turn 20 thou off the rear hubs so that the rim would fit.
Initially the drivers side front would occasionally touch the top of the guard but nowhere near the bulkhead. I got the tape out and found this side was 1/2 inch lower at the front for some reason, I have standard springs etc. Fixed it with a 1/2inch packing block ex Canleys. No probs since.
Tony.

1903 wrote:
How's the difference in handling?

I haven't driven it in anger yet as I've been finishing off lots of little jobs on it. It's bloomin low now and suffers a bit from scraping on speed bumps.. but it looks bloomin cool in my opinion with the 205's on the back and 165's on the front. Once the roads are free from salt I'll get it MOT'd and have some fun in it after a 16 year resto !! Probably have to sell it then to fund the completion of my VW Camper resto/upgrade  :(

205/50/15 & 185/55/15 are almost perfect, best you will get at approx 1% larger than standard 155/13 so your speedo will be almost correct at indicated 70mph you will traveling at 70.74 mph, the car shouldnt be any lower, if anything 4mm higher as the overall diameter is 8mm larger that 155/13 ??

The 165/50/15 are just all wrong  ;) you would have had scuffed your rim (ouch) on fast cornering and pos punctured the tyre going over pot holes.

Using 185/60/15 on the front i had to cut the inner arch/valence and bend the tub in slightly (rolled a small scaffold tube against the tyre and the tub)
On the rear i used 205/55/15 with no issues whatsoever.

I personally didnt like the handling at speed, very skitty at 70mph+ but that was down to the 205/55 arguing with the swing spring setup on the back i assume, gone back to 13" with 185/60 super stickys, wont go back to 15" now but i did like the full wheel arch look.. ;)

So, lets have a pic of the car with them fitted Tony....  :)