MGF Wheels Fouling on Arches

JP

Ah, but that look is just to attract the  girls ( who really don't care! and in reality only gets other boys looking at the car)
Absolutely no use if you want to use the car as it should be.
Bradley, show them the way and do some driving events. That way you can walk the walk..........

I don't understand the rubbing issues from 6 months ago. Had no problems on my spitfire whatsoever at the front. Just a little arch-rolling at the rear when the car was rather well-laiden on the way to CLM (I too used a scaffold tube rolled between tyre and arch, worked a treat)

thats the Gerry way, cos they can alter the tyre, but alter the wheels instead, horrid.
On yours with the 165 tyres, i would not like them to be on mine, be too worried they come away frae the rims.
not to mention how easy they are going to be curbed. :-/ :o :o

Gaz says,
I personally didnt like the handling at speed, very skitty at 70mph+ but that was down to the 205/55 arguing with the swing spring setup on the back i assume, gone back to 13" with 185/60 super stickys, wont go back to 15" now but i did like the full wheel arch look..

thats cos there to much camber change on 2 wheel bump / rebound, plus tracking changes too.
there just too much change for a bigg fat low tyre.

M

4992 wrote:
If you think that is stretched you should see what some of my mates run on their 'stanced' cars.

My colleague at work has a mk2 golf with tyres stretched on like this, they look like balloons and in my opinion look dangerous.

Would it not be a legality issue with then fitted like this?

My GT6 has 195/55 15 tyres on 15x6" rims. The fronts did rub on the bulkhead on full lock and with the suspension fully compressed - the combo of lock and compression probably wouldn't happen often, but I didn't like it, so had the panelshop adjust the bulkhead. I suspect a large hammer was the weapon of choice there ??). They also rolled the front guard lips, and I've used Canley's adjustable top wishbones to pull the top of the wheel in slightly as well. Sorted!

4058 wrote:

My colleague at work has a mk2 golf with tyres stretched on like this, they look like balloons and in my opinion look dangerous.

Would it not be a legality issue with then fitted like this?

Mmm, I agree, suspect a blow out is more likely.

Personally I do like the look if not done to extremes like in the picture.

Most run 155 tyres on 8j wheels with lots of camber as well. Can't imagine being the nicest things to drive.

Legality I don't know tbh. They got a lot of pulls usually for tinted front windows, no front plates etc. Not sure whether plod have ever commented on the wheel/tyres.

Clive, drive? a car are you mad? They just cruise around slowly dodging pot holes most of the time. ;)

JP wrote:

I haven't driven it in anger yet as I've been finishing off lots of little jobs on it. It's bloomin low now and suffers a bit from scraping on speed bumps.. but it looks bloomin cool in my opinion with the 205's on the back and 165's on the front. Once the roads are free from salt I'll get it MOT'd and have some fun in it after a 16 year resto !! Probably have to sell it then to fund the completion of my VW Camper resto/upgrade  :(

What's the plan for the spare wheel?

And I like that Golf.

Ok, here's a few pics . Unfortunately black body and black tyres make it a bit hard to see but I have enough clearance all round now. The tyres havn't touched anything in the last 1000 km's or so. Admittedly I only tar seal driving.  :B  The last one is to keep the vehicle inspectors in my town happy, it's the only Spitty in town so they don't know any better. Besides who wants MG badge on their wheels ! There is actually more clearance than it looks like in the pics.
Tony.