MGoT Castle Combe 14th July 08

Tim Bancroft

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

http://www.mgs-on-track.com/events/52/castle_combe_-_club_triumph_session_2008-07-14.htm

There are currently 3 places left.
I've got to get the Toledo Sprint finished for this, now.... love to do a direct comparison 8)
Let's hope it's a bit dryer than Saturday, Martin!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

OK tim, would love to go but travelling back from CLM on the Monday. Guess you are leaving straight after the race? Im going to a bar and having a good dinner! Still, I should have planned it better. And whens the next Track day, want to do some with other triumphs!

• 3 weeks later...

How are all your cars? are they ready?

My little Sprint was down 5 mph along the straight last time out 14/06/08 and Mart says its smoking a bit (I can see it in the mirror).
I am hoping it will survive till the winter when I will sort the beast out.

Owing to time retraints I have withdrawn from the TD.

Good news is that Graham Edgar has taken my place, he has a TR7 V8, which sounds a nice car. Graham used own a fast 2.5Pi mk1 and is presently building a GT6-obviously a man of taste!!!!

I will be there by mid-day and will bring the crash lid-expecting a few trips out in various cars.

Just realised that is the first CT Track day I will have missed!

trackerjack wrote:

It's on my 'To Do' list  ::) Been a bit pre-occupied with landscaping (if you can call it that ?!) the back garden, and the wife's bump has been a constant distraction, to boot; of late. Have a list of things to check, which I should be setting about during the evenings this week, and at the weekend (weekend off from the garden... Yippee !).
A bit miffed that I didn't get around to fitting the fast-road cam as I'd hoped; but, on a more positive note - will be dropping some wheels off a a local friendly fitters tomorrow, to get the '032's fitted.... at least I'll be able to go around corners a bit quicker (in theory :-/).

trackerjack wrote:

The Amoco Cadiz has been behaving itself. Passed the MOT without any trouble. Carbs balenced and running well (could live to regret that one) and the Megajolt continues to delight with its revelationary operation.
The good news is that the gearbox oil leak from last year has been fixed ;D, the bad news is there appears to be another bloody leak from the rear oil seal now! ::)
Really, REALLY looking forward to Monday ;D ;D

Wot no Tim :o glad your at least there though Tim, bump will soon be turning into a fledgeling, eh Chris, as I recall I had quite a bit of trouble even catching those pesky little GT6's, my car may be a wee bit faster but is way behind on looks.

Poor old Bruce (Brad) is likely to have some hideous ballast ;)

Fingers crossed that the weather holds good, or it will be the third wet track day this year.................and we have only done four.

Mine's not quite ready.  >:(

Took it for an MOT test on Friday & it failed. It needed a small bit of welding, handbrake adjusting, handbrake lever defective, rear no. plate not legible, no. plate light not working. I did the welding, adjusted the handbrake, made the no. plate legible, no. plate light was working fine.

Took it back & they still failed it on the handbrake. When you pull it up, I mean right up past the last notch, it catches & won't release until you tap it sideways. Anyway, I put another handbrake lever on last night so hopefully it will be OK today (fingers crossed).

Booked in for an RR session tomorrow PM.  ;D

trackerjack wrote:

Poor old Bruce (Brad) is likely to have some hideous ballast ;)

To say I am excited is an understatement!!! I am looking forward to some instruction on the basics of track driving and, just as much: looking forward to seeing you guys again. Glad you can make it Tim. :)

Well done Martin- my handbrake test on the MOT just brought about a laugh out loud from the MOT tester!

Got me 'shoes' sorted for Monday: 4 alloys with crap tyres, and 2 bare alloys; 4 used 032s and 2 brand new 032's... old tyres removed, and all 6 tyres fitted and balanced.........

....£28 8) Bargain - well happy.

Checked all my fluids tonight; dropped the oil; fetched off oil filter; charged battery; cleaned plugs; checked dizzy cap and leads; tightened up steering knuckle-joint ( a bit sloppy !); torqued all other suspension nuts and bolts; pads are good, shoes are good (no more brake fluid leaks). That's pretty much all the 'essential' bits taken care of (apart from fitting new filter and filling with fresh oil ::)).

Think I might remove a shim from each of the front upper wishbone mounts - see if that improves the turn-in ?.....

Have likewise got some tuition booked for 10am - I expect to be 'picked up' on some bad habits :B

I told myself I would never mess with the car on the day before a track day, again; but, I decided to take a shim out of each side (OK, 2 shims out of each side, before anyone tells me I've forgotten the little ones !), as planned; gone from -1.5º neg. to -1.75º..... wonder if a quarter of a degree will make that much difference ?.... guess I'll find out tomorrow....

What an absolute blast at CC today ;D! 1st Track Day in my car and it was such good fun. A big thank you to Dale and those responcible for organising the day.
Started out with an instruction session with an Instructor, which was excellent training. Then I had the good advice of Trackerjack and Stiglet, who both endured some 'entertaining' laps in the GT6....
Just to say thank you to all those who came along, especially those driving who were very well mannered on the track indeed and made a good day even better.  
I got so carried away with the excitement, I clean forgot to pick up the instructor for the afternoon session!!!!

Archived