MGoT Castle Combe 14th July 08

Tim Bancroft

Yep what a good day thanks for the ride in the Sixfire Bruce it reminded me so much of my old TR5 (sigh) all our guys behaved well I think and the lone MG Midget that was put in with us with a 150 bhp K series engine was at least bested by Mad Mart, cos I could not match him, despite my best efforts.
One or two faults not least my exhaust completely breaking in half at the down pipe.
Sadly as we were leaving the breakdown truck brought in an MGF completely wrecked down one side poor chap.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey, that was fun. Never been to a track day as a passenger. Really enjoyed my rides in Keith's GT6 and Martin's Sprint.

I was surprised by Keith's GT6, boy he can drive! Totally different style to mine, he just grabs the car by the horns and gives it death! We were sideways quiet a few times, and I did go a bit quiet at one point!

Martin's Sprint is a snarling beastie, superb handling and real power. Totally different but equally effective driving style to Keith's. Martin did run onto the grass at the end of Camp corner, gotta say no worries as he let the car sort it self out and then drove off the grass-all very controlled.

Thanks very much chaps.

Great to see CT members out having fun.

What a fantastic day at Castle Combe!  Thanks to all involved in organising yet another successful track day.  Thanks also to Bruce for the 'spirited' ride in his Sixfire.

Well done to my 'mechanic' Trackerjack  ;) for fixing our exhaust so quickly so that we could continue to have fun on the track for the rest of the day.  :)

Thanks for the praise Siglet little driving chum :)

I tried to keep away from yer Mart but that beast and your driving was to much for my little car you seem to have found another twenty brake, come on come clean what did the rolling road get out of it ;)

Thanks to all who took part for making it such a memorable day for us all, especially for my lad Matt who had never driven Harold before let alone in anger and only passed his test in January.
   The driving standards, courtesy and common sense shown by everyone were as usual exemplary - what a civilised bunch of hooligans we all are!   8)

I was knackered after that! Never realised it required so much concentration either. More than a couple of 'comedy moments' resulting from a momentary lapse in concentration.
Back of the car tried to overtake the front at Quarry after a got a little overconfident and tried braking later :B, then perhaps the worst was bombing out of Camp to see a Buzzard take off alongside in the infield. Being the twonk that I am I thought :"Oh a Buzzard- 'ang-on, is that a Honey Buzzard: it's very light under the wings and the legs?" By which time I suddenly realised I had totally passed the braking guide bollard for Folly!!!!! :X Descretion being the better part of valour, I opted to move straight on into the escape lane and hid behind the tyres there, hoping to sneak out after the passing traffic. Not my most auspicious moment!
But what a great time. I now have a list of jobs I want to do for next time :).

trackerjack wrote:
I tried to keep away from yer Mart but that beast and your driving was to much for my little car you seem to have found another twenty brake, come on come clean what did the rolling road get out of it ;)

170bhp at the flywheel. Pretty much what I had before. Your Sprint was ailing a bit tbh.

Not as wrong as I got it last year though Mart!  
Bruce - that buzzard that distracted you also got my son's attention. As a keen bird watcher (well he's young!) he noticed it straight away (a Common one apparently not the Honey version - this is getting more double entendre by the minute!), and shouted "Wow, a buzzard", unfortunately I din't hear what he said and thought I'd missed something dangerous by the shouting (it's loud in that car), and started looking around rather than where I was going, saw you taking your short detour and promptly ran wide the other way through the same chicane, so that bird nearly had 2 of us off - ooer!

Just to reiterate the thanks to the MGoT and CT organisers, for another excellent track day.

Brief summary of my day:

So... did the extra quarter of a degree camber make that much difference ?..... Yes ! About 3 feet.... that's how much further in from the edge of the track I was when coming out of the chicanes, and this was using the same 'ADVAN's that I've been using for the last dozen odd track days; so, I know it had to be because of the extra camber.

Also had an instruction session with one of the ARDS guys; and I must say it was money well spent. I've driven dozens of laps of CC, and thought I'd pretty much gone as fast as I could without more power..... Wrong !.... just a few pointers and a couple of changes of 'line' and turn-in point, and I know I must be quicker - How do I know (without any sort of timing device) ?... ignoring the fact that it just felt quicker; I was changing up to 4th gear about 20 yards sooner than I was before, on the Start/Finish straight, and at 'Hammerdown'.... and the proof is that my sat-nav (secreted in the glove box) showed my highest speed of the day to be 99mph, when previously it was 96.5mph. 8)

Finally got around to trying out a set of '032's, and what a huge difference they make. After a couple of 'gentle' laps to break them in; it wasn't very long before I had every confidence in them, and was going through bends at speeds I wouldn't have dared to with the 'ADVANS'. I used to have to go steady coming out of 'The Esses' and through 'Old Paddock Bend'; but, not with the 032's - I can now keep my foot flat to the floor, and no sign of them 'letting go' ;D

I only had a couple of minor niggles on the day - Bloody speedo kept packing up on me, and I got fed up of pushing the damned connector back on >:( O/S lower ball joint has worn a bit sloppy, and needs replacing; O/S wheel bearing is on it's last legs, too - the nice yellow grease that I packed the cap with, has turned a shade of grey -so, that'll need a new one; and, finally.... I got a horrible vibration coming through the steering wheel on my 3rd session (this was immediately after I'd swapped wheels/tyres for the 032's)..... for some inexplicable reason; the front O/S wheel nuts had not been torqued up after refitting and one of the nuts was all but off the stud when i got back to the paddock :B What a muppet ! Defies logic, because I've always gone around all my wheel nuts with a torque wrench before every session, on every other track day that I've been to !

All in all; an excellent day; although rather tiring... I decided to give the last session a miss, because I was starting to wilt, having only had about 3 hours sleep the night before.

A quick question for Keith and Tim, what gear are you guys in when you exit the chicane 'Bobbies'? I know Keith has the same diff(3.63) as mine, but I was wary of dropping into 2nd for the exit from 'Bobbies' as it didn't seem warrented, but I didn't seem to have loads of power-out in 3rd :-/....

There is nowhere at Combe that requires second.
I know it's easy to say, but just try to carry a bit more speed
through and wait for the revs to hit the power band.
Oooh and concentrate on your lines. Honey Buzzard, Really !!

99176 wrote:

Cheers Keith! I should have got a picture of our two cars parked up together. Honey Buzzard indeed! :B

It sounds like everyone had a great time - which is brilliant - well done all and Bruce I'm sorry not to witness your first track day. With a bit of luck we won't have a clash with two events like this again - it did wipe out quite few of the regulars. Although I have to say as I was watching some of those cars at Le Mans I did think - hmm - money and nice historic car doesn't make you a racing driver! There's plenty of us that would have gone round that circuit quicker...!

99176 wrote:

That's all very well for you to say but you wouldn't want to wait for the power band in a Herald with a 3.63 diff - we were in 2nd through both chicanes even when shown the quickest line by the instructor!
Good point about the buzzard tho'    :B

Archived