new to forum, new to Triumph

frenchiemk2

Hi, Luc 51, french, classic and young enthousisat (forgive my mistakes 😌). Long time in the VW Scirocco mk1 😎, went to Audi for Quattros (still a 90 Quattro 1985 to finish😅). Married 3 kids (1 with slight autism 💙) living near La rochelle.

Historic rallye as passion and leisure 

For my 50 anniversary i searched non french models and re-discovered the Mk2 saloon (i knew and really loved the Estate) ! I was on a spanish one, a french half in parts with no title, another french but bordeaux and not so nice, and another 2000 blue sold and a few time later for sale again + 2000€!). 

A bit deceived...  then last week i spotted a green 2500pi that seemed nice, and drove to see the car on sunday. Non running since 2008, in a garage, cylinder head gasket off (little rust inside cylinders) but the car is so fine interior, paint, underneath... never seen so nice.😃

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobPearce said:

That does look very nice and it's a lovely colour for a Mk2. What's the problem with the engine that led to it being abandoned half-dismantled?

cylinder head gasket leak suspicion ( white smoke), then his friend strated the job but unfortunately passed not long after 

3 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

Bienvenue

It does look to be in very good condition, fingers crossed that the problem with the engine is only minor.

Yes very good condition. I'll check closely when i'll take the car back home. 

And first buy a Hayne's and imperial tools 😅, i only have metric!

1 hour ago, frenchiemk2 said:

And first buy a Hayne's and imperial tools 😅, i only have metric!

I don't know if you want a manual in French or English but no doubt much easier to find in English.

Imperial tools are easy to get here in France, I got some from Amazon.

11 minutes ago, Rosbif said:

I don't know if you want a manual in French or English but no doubt much easier to find in English.

Imperial tools are easy to get here in France, I got some from Amazon.

i'll manage with english Hayne's , already have 2 (Audi B2 ans VW Scirocco) , some cheap on eBay, but since brexit we have horrible tax fees 😒

Yep i found imperial tool , but i really don't know which are most important (size and type). i'd like advice on that point 😇

11 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

i'll manage with english Hayne's , already have 2 (Audi B2 ans VW Scirocco) , some cheap on eBay, but since brexit we have horrible tax fees 😒

Yep i found imperial tool , but i really don't know which are most important (size and type). i'd like advice on that point 😇

Welcome to the forum. Don't forget a good selection of hammers. (metric or imperial) You can manage with metric spanners on most things if they are in good condition.

Tony.

13 hours ago, frenchiemk2 said:

For the tools I bought a set with the main sizes, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16,  5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 1, 1 1/4.Reasonably quality, not top, clé mixte - one end open spanner the other ring spanner. They are in a tool roll that I keep in the boot in case I or a garage need them when out.

As for the taxes on imports, have you had to pay any? It is a very cloudy area still. I have seen posts on the French Triumph owners site & FB where they have been asked for massive "documentation" charges. On the other hand my wife regularly buys embroidery kits from the UK and has so far not had any extras to pat plus the prices are "sans TVA". The packs are always sent by the normal postal company both the UK and France.

I bought some bits lately but got em from a French company - Betaset.

Looks a really good car. 

Is it still on the PI, and did you get all the bits?

Download the Lucas fault cards for the PI for when you set It back up, they are better than the Haynes manual I seem to remember.

Always ask if you are unsure about anything, better to be pointed in The right direction than make a mistake.

Cheers

Colin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tim Hunt said:

Yes Luc, a lovely looking car and colour, good luck, you will find plenty of assistance on here. I think quite unusual these days to find one of these cars on the original wheels with imitation 'Rostyle' trims.

Tim

Thanks, 

Yes, and tires are vintage models Michelin XZX... keeping them for meettings and may find TR6 wheels for daily drive

1 hour ago, Rosbif said:

For the tools I bought a set with the main sizes, 1/4, 5/16, 3/8, 7/16, 1/2, 9/16,  5/8, 11/16, 3/4, 13/16, 7/8, 15/16, 1, 1 1/4.Reasonably quality, not top, clé mixte - one end open spanner the other ring spanner. They are in a tool roll that I keep in the boot in case I or a garage need them when out.

As for the taxes on imports, have you had to pay any? It is a very cloudy area still. I have seen posts on the French Triumph owners site & FB where they have been asked for massive "documentation" charges. On the other hand my wife regularly buys embroidery kits from the UK and has so far not had any extras to pat plus the prices are "sans TVA". The packs are always sent by the normal postal company both the UK and France.

I bought some bits lately but got em from a French company - Betaset.

maybe professional sellers from UK have to charge taxes, but not private person?

9 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Looks a really good car. 

Is it still on the PI, and did you get all the bits?

Download the Lucas fault cards for the PI for when you set It back up, they are better than the Haynes manual I seem to remember.

Always ask if you are unsure about anything, better to be pointed in The right direction than make a mistake.

Cheers

Colin

Thanks for your comment.

Yes still with injection, Bosch fuel pump group on the rear left side of the car (trunk), and i'll have to check the parts to seek the missings.

I'll certainly ask before making things wrong 🙂

1 hour ago, frenchiemk2 said:

maybe professional sellers from UK have to charge taxes, but not private person?

No, the people my wife buys from are a proper company - there is a complication that makes a distinction between UK made items and items made outside the UK then imported to the UK and then exported (all very complicated).

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

Elle est belle. 🙂 Where abouts in France? I am only 1 hour from Strasbourg.

Luc is in La Rochelle. I'm a lot nearer at about 3 1/2 hours. I haven't been to La Rochelle for a few years, closest was 2 years ago when called in at Rochefort on the way to spain