Brake drum wear

daver clasper

Hi.

Current brake drums have been on car since I bought it 4 years ago and both have some scoring and a lip on the outer edge through general wear. Has always passed Mot with "very good brakes".

I have just bought some second hand ones, off Ebay, cheap, as I thought, handy for spares, as use the car a fair bit.

They look to be a matched pair, due to the same level of rust on the outside surface.

One is really good, with even braking surface, tother, is a bit more uneven and a slight lip, (maybe a couple of thou), though from memory not a bad as my current ones.

Wondering, what the real world analysis, (from description),of serviceability, would be from you experienced folk, please.

Thanks, Dave

yeh and it needs to be a pretty big one, ideally with a special mandrel to mount the drum on! Unfortunately cast iron, apparently, has a habit of distorting over time (internally stresses from the casting process?) so its quite common for drums to go oval. I had mine machined recently at a local engineering shop and they did the best they could but without the mandrel it was difficult to guarantee concentricity however there was definitely an improvement. 

if youre not impressed  with used Canley list new at a good price  210578  @ around £24  thats each 

and if you need the mk2 handbrake spreader bars  the stag ones are exactly the same but have a + 1/2" on the cable lever makes a nice handbrake and cheaper than any 2000 ones about 

Pete

why not try to get em skimmed Dave? Any half decent shop should be able to do it especially if you take along a hub with studs and wheel nuts. Just mount the drum the reverse way round on the hub and they should be able to hold it in the chuck to guarantee itll run true on the car. Cost me 20 pounds the pair and that was doing it the difficult way without a hub......