I'm at my co-driver's house (he retensioned the fanbelt on the Sprint) and he mentioned that I may have to let the insurance know I'm doing the RBRR. Does any body know what the situation is with the insurance? I haven't checked my policy yet. I'll dig it out when I get home. In the meantime I'd welcome your thoughts.

Dave,

I will discuss this at the Drivers Meetings. It would e prudent to have a chat with you insurance company nearer the date of the event. You need to be able to explain the event to them and accentuate the fact that the RBRR is not a race etc. and has no competitive aspect.

Any probs please give me a call. We have encountered these questions before.

If you've got the standard TSSC policy with FJ, it usually costs nothing to add your co-driver(s) to your insurance at RENEWAL time, otherwise you end up having to pay an admin fee (£15).  If the co-driver is young, then there will probably be an additional premium to pay regardless of when you add them.

When I added Vinny and JohnD to my policy for the 2006 RBRR, FJ wanted to charge the £15 admin fee plus a short period insurance additional premium of £16 to add them temporarilly.  BUT if I wanted them adding permenantly, it only cost £15 admin fee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since then I've added a couple of extra drivers when I last renewed the policy, so now I have a reasonable range of choice of co-drivers for my cars at any time of the year.

As the RBRR is an official chargeable organised club event, that runs MSA regulations (???) and not a jolly with a few friends, it is always worth running this past your insurer. If they say it is okay, get them to issue an endorsement or letter stating that fact.  Have heard to many horror stories !! Better safe and insured, than sorry.  (ps I work within classic car insurance)
Regards, Darren

With insurance premium tax most changes cost £15 to £30 each transaction.

Check your policy for coverage - most, if not all normal motor policies will cover you for the RBRR as it is non-competitive and not a contest or test of speed etc. Even things like night rallies are often not excluded if not speed related despite being competitive. A few policies will still cover you for track days but they are now few and far between.

It's ALWAYS good advise to run things past your insurers if you are in any doubt but please don't call it a "Rally" or a "Trial" or refer to yourself as a "Competitior" or "Entrant" as these have competitive overtones that will set an insurer down a path of denial - if an insurer doesn't like something they will often just say no rather than look for ways to accomodate you.

What you are doing is participating in the Club Triumph Round Britain Reliability Run, a non-competitive road tour for charity in which there are no prizes just a finishers award.

Oh and don't lie, it's not neccessary and will screw you up if you get found out - having now acquired responsibility for Fraud investigation in my job I can say that insurers are getting much better at finding out and even more brutal in dealing with the consequences - you lie you're a fraudster and everyone hates a fraudster so zero sympathy ensues, irrespective of what catastrophy has befallen you and your car/wallet/mates.

Last year when Ashley went to add me to his, at first he was quote'd a price of over 200 pounds.  After talking to his carrer the price came down to the 20 pound range.  As said here talk to your carrer.  Explain what this is about.  Of course age, driving record may paly a part in the cost.  Since I will be using a American carrer I only have to have drivers over 25 and can list up the 3 at no extra charge.

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the RBRR to Footman James when I put Jason on my Insurance last time and they diodn't seem aty all bothered. This was at really short notic e, ie 2pm on the day so I had to ensure they gave me imediate cover and I'd have been in trouble if they had an issue, mind you Jason was also insured with FJ so tthey knew his driving record. FJ charged about 15 quid to add him not bad for someone with Jason's reputation    ;D

Cliftyhangar,

Does it actually state 'Reliability Runs', as far as I know the RBRR is the only event in the UK that states the wording 'Reliability Run'?

I have never had an issue with my Insurers about the RBRR, as has been stated, just inform your insurers nearer to the event that you are taking part and clearly explain the event. As far as I know, no one has ever had probs.

Caroline wrote:
I also think 6 cars is the max.

Each change is a £15 admin fee unless at renewal

They allow more - I've currently got 8, poss had more than that in the past!

Re the admin fees that one of the main reasons I dropped them for Peter James this year, changes not a problem and not charged - just like FJ used to be!

My other personal annoyance was the way they significantly bumped up the renewal premium every year, only to drop it £70-£100  again when I challenged it.  Last renewal they said it could'nt be changed - so I looked elswhere
Got an identical policy quote from PJ that was £150 cheaper than FJ!

Funny, when I rang FJ back to inform I would not be renewing, they offered to beat it!!!!!

[quote=timbancroft61]Cliftyhangar,

Does it actually state 'Reliability Runs', as far as I know the RBRR is the only event in the UK that states the wording 'Reliability Run'?quote]

Excludes......."participation in any rally, reliability trial or competition" amongst the usual get outs. Think the rbrr would be classd as a reliability trial? or a difficult one to argue. Which is best avoided with insurance co's.
Luckily it is a modern car policy, but worrying if it spraeds to classics >:(

How's this for luck.  Took care of insurance today.  As I said before I am using the England agent of my American company Hagerty Classic Auto.  The agent is a club member and on the reserve list for the RBRR.  He know's all about the run and now car # 44 is fully insured for the run with no problems.   :D   Bill

• 2 months later...

Caroline wrote:
I tried Peter James for a quote but they need a valuation from the other club for the PI. They won't take a valuation from CT. Which insurance companies are CT affiliated with (apart from FJ who I'm already with)?

I insured my PI with Peter James about 3 weeks ago on an agreed value of £12k......they didn't need a club vaulation.......just photos, the valuation form filled in by me and a detailed description of why I thought the car was worth it.

Agreed in 3 days, no problems.

Archived